Buying my first DSLR! Which should I choose?

Best choice?

• Nikon D5000

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Canon 550D

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Nikon D3100

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

Kerouac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone!

I'm about to make the transition into the DSLR market from the compacts and I'm looking for some help in choosing a camera.

At the moment I've narrowed it down to three choices:

- Nikon D5000;

- Canon 550D;

- Nikon D3100;

What's most important to me is image quality. I'm not that concerned about the video function, as I don't see myself using it that often.

So, which do you think would be the best choice?

If you want, you can recommend some other cameras which you think would be a better choice.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Since image quality is what is most important to you, it makes no difference which camera you choose, and you can just flip a coin.

Image quality is 90% the photographer, and 10% the equipment.

The Canon does not have color-aware metering. Both Nikon's do. Between the Nikon's I would recommend the D5000, though stepping up to the D90 would be a smart move.

I shoot Canon, so I would recommend that. To be honest, image quality differences are going to be negligible at best for most entry level cameras. Find a store where you can play with them live and see which feels better. Which button layout and which menu style you think works better. Both Canon and Nikon systems have great camera and lens options.

As a side note, the 550D does have color aware metering, like the 7D and 60D. Another thing to keep in mind is that any of the entry level Nikon bodies will not be able to autofocus lenses which do not have built in AF motors(anything not AF-S).

Last edited:
Find a store where you can play with them live and see which feels better. Which button layout and which menu style you think works better. Both Canon and Nikon systems have great camera and lens options. QUOTE]

best advice right here. play with the cameras. hold them, go throught the menus. they are all good cameras so pick the one that fits you and is comfortable for you to use.

Total BS about holding comfort and button layout. Humans have superb manual dexterity, and our opposable thumbs make minor ergonomic differences meaningless.

I use Digital (both gripped and non gripped), SLR, TLR, Medium format. They are all shaped differently and some don't even have buttons.

If holding comfort amounted to squat, cameras would be sized and their would be mens and womens versions.

Total BS about holding comfort and button layout. Humans have superb manual dexterity, and our opposable thumbs make minor ergonomic differences meaningless.

I use Digital (both gripped and non gripped), SLR, TLR, Medium format. They are all shaped differently and some don't even have buttons.

If holding comfort amounted to squat, cameras would be sized and their would be mens and womens versions.

Frankly I dont agree with you.

Feel and function position are quite important to many users. To me many Canons feel awkward while the Nikon and Sony has a more natural feel when I hold and use it.

Nikon D5000. And also a suggestion, take a GPS to log your foot prints, it would be more fantastic.:sexywink:

I got a D5000, and I also have the chances to use 550D. Have to say, the color of Canon is more pretty. Just I am used to the operating of Nikon. Feel Nikon is more easy to handle. The key point is what lens are you going to buy? Nikon support gps while Canon can't. I believe that is a big advantage Nikon over Canon.

I went to the store try out the cameras, as you said.

The Canon has a great screen and really clear pictures, but it's also quite expensive, especially in comparison to the D5000 and the D3100.

Would it's predecessor the 500D be a smarter choice? Would it have similar image quality?

Image quality wise, the entry level DSLRs are pretty much the same. If you are able to take those out and take photos with them at the same location at the same time, you may not notice the different in terms of image quality between them.

Even with other brands such as Olympus, Sony and Pentax. As for image quality on the camera LCD screen, it shows how GOOD the LCD screen is, it may not show how good the photos is.

Besides the camera itself, image quality also affected by the lens attached to the camera. After all, the camera is just a recording medium which record the light passing through the optics.

So there is a chance that lower cost camera with quality lens can produce a better image than a higher cost camera with not so good quality lens. So getting a cheaper camera and then use the extra cash to buy a better lens is another option.

As far as image quality concern, I believe 550D and 500D should be about the same. Again, don't judge the image quality based on the LCD screen at the back of the camera. If the store allow you to use your own memory to take photo with the demo cameras, use it and compare the image with your computer at home.

I got a D5000, and I also have the chances to use 550D. Have to say, the color of Canon is more pretty. Just I am used to the operating of Nikon. Feel Nikon is more easy to handle. The key point is what lens are you going to buy? Nikon support gps while Canon can't. I believe that is a big advantage Nikon over Canon.

Well Sony has GPS internally in the A55 so that makes it the best camera? I dont think so. Also I have not even turned on the GPS function in my A55.

Most reactions

Back