What's new

Buying my first Lens...

KaughtPhotography

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 31, 2011
Messages
7
Reaction score
1
Location
US
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Right now, I am using a Nikon D3000 and I have only the stock 18-55mm lens. While I am saving up for a new camera, I decided it would be more beneficial to purchase a portrait lens. What do you recommend? I do mostly children/family portraits and shoot outside a lot. I am looking for one with AF and one that will benefit me for years to come as I will probably buy a higher end Nikon soon. Also, any recommendations for Nikon models that would suit me, would be appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Krista
 
Nikon 50mm f/1.8 is the classic and will do everything you need it to... but with d3k it wont have AF....

so i recommend the 35mm f/1.8. honestly i prefer it on DX sensors anyway, but I mostly shoot indoors. youll get that butter smooth bokeh as well as having the ability to shoot under relatively low light. Id hold out on a new body for a little while.... unless if you REALLY need something newer, for legitimate reasons (in my case my d70 just wasn't cutting it as I would shoot under low light quite often and the noise was far too much... I wish I had it back though, as it would have been an awesome flash body... heck, im looking to buy a d70s now!).

that should be all youd need, and cheap too, compared to most anything else. its sharp as a needle, and just a great, fast lens. Don't even bother looking at any zooms for portrait work at this point; farrr down the road you may consider something like a 17-55 f/2.8, but when that time comes you wont be asking on a forum what lens you need.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom