Buying new DSLR- Sony a700 or Nikon D90?

Idaho21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to be purchasing a new camera here pretty soon. I currently have a Sony a200. I really like the Sony DSLRs, but I have started to like Nikons quite a bit recently.
Here's my choices. I am either going to buy a new Sony a700, or a Nikon D90.

I currently have 3 lenses for my Sony a200, and spare batteries. I could sell all of this stuff if I switched to Nikon. Or I could use it if I get a Sony a700.

From what I have read, both are good cameras. My main consideration with Nikon is the popularity of them, which means a better choice of lenses and accessories.

If you own either a Sony a700, or Nikon D90, how do you like them?

If your happy with the a200 system and have several lenses and reviews put the a700 as a viable option then seems the logical choice.

having read the dpreview it seems to me the a700 isn't really competitive with the competition. I'm not familiar with the sony range to know if there is a better alternative but the a700 looks disapointing to me.

The D90 is an amazing camera. I enjoyed playing with it a lot. I wish it had the D300's frame though. The all plastic body turned me off given the price point. But in terms of features and IQ, I really-really like it. I may buy one used someday just "because".

having read the dpreview it seems to me the a700 isn't really competitive with the competition. I'm not familiar with the sony range to know if there is a better alternative but the a700 looks disapointing to me.

I read a few reviews of the a700, and they all gave it a great review. They wrote that the a700 is an excellent buy.

The next step up is the full frame flagship, the a900, which is a bit out of my price range at the moment.($3000 just for the body.):mrgreen:

The next step up is the full frame flagship, the a900, which is a bit out of my price range at the moment.($3000 just for the body.):mrgreen:
But just think how happy you will be with it in your hands.

I think you should do it. :)

Believe me, I'd love to, but that is way out of my price range at the moment. A full frame 24.6MP camera, that would be nice.

Believe me, I'd love to, but that is way out of my price range at the moment. A full frame 24.6MP camera, that would be nice.
That tells us what you really want. Save up!:D

I'm not sure what reviews you've read.

From dpreivew :-

Noise reduction settings are applied to raw as well as JPEG files. Would be preferable if they affected JPEG only (as is normal practice). Kudos to Sony for updating the firmware to allow you to actually turn it off at all though!
Base sensitivity isn't ISO 100, this isn't directly indicated on the camera
Would still like to see the lowest noise reduction setting using less NR
Lack of live view will be counted against the A700 compared to the competition
No ISO display on viewfinder status bar
No top panel LCD status display

That's a pretty poor list ( I'm amazed by the lack of live view given the a300 has superb implementation - think it's the a300 - I don't rate the need for live view very highly btw but just find it surprising ).

The D90, K20D ( pentax) are both IMO based on that review much better buys. It wouldn't surprise me if sony soon replace the 700 too with a model with the a350 features but better sensor and maybe weathersealed body.

D90, you will love it, and the further upgrade paths.

I'm not sure what reviews you've read.

From dpreivew :-

Noise reduction settings are applied to raw as well as JPEG files. Would be preferable if they affected JPEG only (as is normal practice). Kudos to Sony for updating the firmware to allow you to actually turn it off at all though!
Base sensitivity isn't ISO 100, this isn't directly indicated on the camera
Would still like to see the lowest noise reduction setting using less NR
Lack of live view will be counted against the A700 compared to the competition
No ISO display on viewfinder status bar
No top panel LCD status display

That's a pretty poor list ( I'm amazed by the lack of live view given the a300 has superb implementation - think it's the a300 - I don't rate the need for live view very highly btw but just find it surprising ).

The D90, K20D ( pentax) are both IMO based on that review much better buys. It wouldn't surprise me if sony soon replace the 700 too with a model with the a350 features but better sensor and maybe weathersealed body.

The A700 has also been out quite a while longer than the other cameras. The A100 (which I have) was released then the A700 shortly after that. The A900 is the flagship of the line there are also many other bodies that Sony has released. I am sure there are more to come too.

My honest opinion is if you have the Sony and like the Sony keep the Sony. What is the reason for the upgrade at the moment? I would agree with the other poster that said save up for the A900. Its the direction you are headed in anyway.

I am looking to upgrade to a camera that has more capability than my a200. It is a basic DSLR. It isn't bad, just basic.

Hmm, I am not sure what function you are going to really use by going to another camera.

I can see if you wanted more pixels ... or lower noise ...

Well, from what I can tell, over the a200, the a700 has
-12.2MP (a200 is 10.2MP)
-sealed controls
-an aluminum chassis and magnesium cover (not plastic)
-Faster AF with more advanced tracking
-Higher ISO range
-Higher flash sync speed
-More advanced noise reduction
-Larger LCD display
-5FPS (a200 is 3FPS)
-Faster shutter speed of 1/8000th SEC. (I think the a200 is 1/1000thsec)
These are a few of the improvements. Also a more advanced DRO(digital range optimizer).
I have decided that I am going with another Sony, just due to the fact that I really like the way that they operate and the features that they come with.
So, here soon, I am looking to purchase a new body and two new lenses. After thinking about it for a few days, I have decided on the lenses.

A Sony 18-250mm f3.5-6.3, which has gotten great reviews and will replace two of my current lenses, and a Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC, which is a good wide angle for landscapes.

Now, thanks to you guys. I will have to think about getting the a700 body, or save for the a900(which may take a while). The a900 would be awesome though.
I am currently accepting donations for the purchase of an a900.(Just remember, donations are tax write offs):mrgreen::mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back