Buying New DSLR

Just a thought....

I have a 7000 and I have found that it really suffers when shooting with anything but pro glass. If you are sticking with kit lenses, get a D90... it has better overall image quality with cheap lenses. If, however, you intend to invest in pro glass, the 7000 betters the 90 by a longshot, and even surpasses the D300 for general IQ.

I say this based on my personal experience with all three cameras tested with identical lenses under studio lighting... I was dissapointed with the 7000 until I gave it the beans with good glass, and then it shocked me...

Cheers,

Paul

When you say pro glass are you referring to the full frame and fx lenses??
Sorry for my ignorance.

"pro glass" is actually a stupid term and I should have been more descriptive...

Not referring to FX at all... the tokina 11 - 16 is "pro glass" (DX exclusive) because it produces extremely consistent and high quality images, and is built like a tank...

Nikon's 50 and 35 G lenses (both DX) should be considered "pro glass"...

"Pro" generally refers to build quality and the quality of the elements in the lens, and, of course, to consistent image quality for given conditions, but a better description for good lens compatability with the D7000 is "Excellent glass"...

I think there are murky waters when describing gear this way, and I'm sure there are strong opinions about it.... Suffice to say, my experience with the 7000 is that the "kit" lenses in the Nikon lineup are of insufficient quality to take advantage of the camera's full capabilities....

Does that answer your question?

Just so you know, I will be taking my new D700 (2.2lb/1000g) along with 4 lens to a 10 mile hike in the middle of the Everglades(hot!) tomorrow. If you are really passionate about taking good shots outdoors, you have to stop letting the weight get to you and start hitting the gym like I am ( started this year and making good progress!)

Thanks for the replies. Yes that helps clarify. I definitely wont be just sticking with kit lenses, but one all purpose will be very handy.

M_cow yes I completely understand what you are saying but unfortunately I don't have that luxury at the moment as I suffer long-term health issues which limit my strength and energy. Of course this has a big impact on my ability to pursue my interest fully but I don't want it to stop me from enjoying my interest. For example at the moment there is no chance I can even go on a hike but hopefully it won't be too long before things improve bit by bit slowly.

Thanks again.

Sorry to hear that. I had a small knee swell recently and I can't imagine having arthritis when I get old. The body is fragile. For some reason, it seems to be a lot more forgiving when I was young.

Benjy, Propsguy gave you some good explaining. That's why I was saying not to spend extra on an all-purpose lens (that will not perform any better than the kit). You will be wanting "better", "high quality", "pro" glass later (sooner).

I'm also sorry to hear about your ailments. I hurt all over. I'm not trying to compare to you but I'm just whining. I have recently beefed up my photography interest because it's a low-impact passion.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I have gone ahead and purchased the D7000 and I'm sure I will be happy with the choice. I have stayed with the lens provided and also purchased a 105mm macro as well as lots of bits and pieces.
I will purchase a prime lens soon.

Before I get out and about is there any specific testing I should do to make sure everything is 'ship shape'?

As for a prime lens maybe the 50mm f1.8 as suggested above, or would I be better off going wider? I will tend to be taking nature rather then portraiture shots.

Thanks again all for helping out - it is really much appreciated!

If you are considering a 35mm and / or a 50mm, take some shots at each length and see which one suits you better.

Most reactions

Back