Buying used lenses

robdavis305

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wanting to get everybodys input on buying used lens from like B&H or other mail order photo sites. What im looking for is a good macro and is there that big of a differance between Nikon and tamron lenses. Any reply will be greatly appreciated,Thanks

used lenses are great.. I cant answer your question as to what your looking for, but, all my lenses but 2 are used.. I also have nikon lenses and a tamron lens.. the tamron is pretty old, but I like it not the less.. every function on it is manual, because its so old, but, its still a great sharp lens.

I often hit up places like kijiji, as well as local pawn shops, because they almost always have old gear for CHEAP!

Tamron's 90mm macro lens is a very fine lens. I've owned one for years. Check Thom Hogan's web site for his review of the 105VR model micro-Nikkor lens, and see what he has to say about the Tamron 90mm in the sidebar article. Honestly, as a MACRO lens, the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 is very,very good and has been for many years. Tamron's 180mm macro has nice bokeh.

I think macro lenses are a perfect type to buy used--many are bought,tested, and then never really used and are sold back to dealers. I always suggest that people buy a macro lens used, because of the oversupply of used ones on the market.

Last edited:
I was wanting to get everybodys input on buying used lens from like B&H or other mail order photo sites. What im looking for is a good macro and is there that big of a differance between Nikon and tamron lenses. Any reply will be greatly appreciated,Thanks

Make sure that you've checked the customer feedback and ratings at www.reselleratings.com before you part with your cc details!

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

Make sure that you've checked the customer feedback and ratings at www.reselleratings.com before you part with your cc details!

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

Yes, for sure. I always shop at places I know and that have a very good reputation (B&H, Adorama, KEH, etc). If for some reason I want to buy something somewhere else - Reseller Ratings is the first stop.

I see too many posts on here about people looking at a shady dealer... One look at Reseller Ratings and you would run away very fast. EVERYONE should have that website bookmarked, and check it before buying from a store you're not familiar with.

I've never bought a new lens! Used lenses are a much better value.

What camera do you have? if it's a d200/300/700 then you might want to consider an AIS manual focus macro lens. The 55mm micro, or 105mm micro's from nikon are fantastic macro lenses. You can get a 105mm f4 micro for really cheap used--I don't think the f2.8 is worth the extra $$, as you'll rarely be shooting macro below f8.

I bought my Sigma EX 100-300mm f/4 used on E-bay for about half new price -- it is a wonderful lens. I got my EX teleconverters there the same way (1.4X and 2X).

Most reactions

Back