BW or Color (what say you)

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to De Grazia Studios today and snapped some pictures. This is one that I had fun with. It was a room in one of the old historical buildings. I am not sure what I like better so I thought I would post this and ask you folks for your input. The lighting was very dark in this room.

I will have more from the studio soon to post, so keep an eye out.

COLOR

room with cross color by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

BLACK & WHITE

room with cross bw by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Personally I like the color shot the best.. being a very dark room, it doesn't seem to have much of an interesting range in B&W. The color shot however, I really like. Interesting old room.. nice capture. :)

I really like the color version! It has more "feeling," and makes each item stand out better.

Well I think the color is vastly better from the two that you posted, but that's not really fair, because for some reason, your B&W version has way way lower contrast and looks severely underexposed, while your color one doesn't. I'm not sure how you converted that, but when I convert to B&W, I get this more normally exposed version:
View attachment 49115
^ Which I do like better than the color version.

Generally, I think B&W looks better for any image where the color information isn't really differentiating anything. Since the whole room is pretty much equally reddish orange, the color is pretty flat and isn't doing much work. The lightness is doing most of the work, so emphasize that with B&W (but not a weirdly lower exposed B&W).

Of the choices available I also like the color because of the underexposed nature of the b&w. That said I think that the b&w has potential by maybe making a curves adjustment or bumping up the exposure.

Most reactions

Back