C-41

zio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can Kodak's B&W C-41 film be developed in normal black and white chemicals or can it only be processed in color chemicals. On the canister it says to request only standard color processing. Can I not do it in my school's black and white darkroom?

There is nothing to stop you, but I don't think you would want to if you want a good B&W image. Buy conventional B&W for developing in the darkroom and C-41 for quick minilab photos. Some C-41 B&W film prints better on B&W paper than color paper.

you cannot develop c-41 B&W film in regular B&W chemicals, unless you want to ruin your film, it has to got hrough a color processor.

Printing is whole other story, you can print the B&W on either kind of paper

i figured i had to use color chemicals since thats what it says on the canister, but never hurts to find out if you can use b/w...thanks for the input!

You can also get some interesting results by printing color negative film on black and white paper.

I have accidentally done it once. You'll get negs that are printable, but it's obviously not recommended.

hi all

voodoocat: what kind of result do you get when you try that?
i use the chromogenic xp2/tn400 rollfilms but the local lab i use
give me a blank look if i question them beyond their standard "matte or gloss" blah.

Most reactions

Back