C and C please. Photo's of my friend's kids.

B52

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone :wink:

I'm very new to DSLR, about 2 months in.

Some C&C on these two please. Pics of my friend's kids while they were playing in the back of my vehicle. I do realize there are some blown out parts i couldn't recover. Comments most welcome.

Thank you.

mgs.jpg

hg21.jpg

Like the back ground, cropping and clarity... but I am not understanding the expression on number 2

I agree that in #2 her expression is a bit off. Like you caught her in the middle of speaking.

Thanks guys. I guess it's her way of putting on a smile. Now that you point is out I can also see that it indeed looks odd. Thank you.

Looks like you're making the best of your new camera! You are over sharpening your eyes. When you get to where it looks good, back off a little. It should be brighter and sharper, but not BAM, in your face.

Looks like you're making the best of your new camera! You are over sharpening your eyes. When you get to where it looks good, back off a little. It should be brighter and sharper, but not BAM, in your face.

Thank you. I sharpened the image as a whole, looks like i over sharpened it. I did dodge the eyes too tho, maybe that's making them look too punchy. Will definitely relax on the sharpening opacity in future.

Eyes are hard, I think we all go thru a stage where we over cook the eyes (I know I did).

You are doing wonderfully by the way, you got some nice candid poses, images are nice and sharp.

I like the pose on both kids. #2 pose seems real- with a little bit of an attitude that seems to fit her age.

Thanks guys :thumbup:

I'm busy with a new edit, I've also desaturated the first one a bit too. I''ve also noticed that when I re-size the image in Microsoft Picture manager, it alters my image slightly (colour and exposure) :confused:

WB seems off to me, mostly in the second. There's something pink reflecting on one part of her face, but the chin area looks greenish.

Eyes are hard, I think we all go thru a stage where we over cook the eyes (I know I did).

You are doing wonderfully by the way, you got some nice candid poses, images are nice and sharp.

The more I look at the Photos, the more glaringly obvious i over-cooked the eyes. :blushing: Definitely a lesson learnt.

WB seems off to me, mostly in the second. There's something pink reflecting on one part of her face, but the chin area looks greenish.

Is white balance and colour cast one in the same thing? I noticed that too, but dunno how to fix that. Will have to search more.

Well, balancing the white will eliminate/reduce color cast. This is one of the areas I struggle with, perhaps someone else will have better insight.

Leave the eyes alone entirely. I dunno where the heck this thing about "working on" eyes came from, but it's completely unnecessary.

The animal brain has a HUGE amount of neurological machinery in it for detecting eyes, and tracking where the eyes are looking. It's actually kind of shocking when you start actually studying the science. Anyways, long story short we don't need any help to find the eyes in the frame, it's where we're gonna look pretty much no matter what.

The only exception I can think of offhand is if you've slightly missed focus and you're trying to save a photograph. You shouldn't bother, but maybe it's the only decent frame from an un-re-shootable set, and you gotta.

White balance and color cast are not always the same. For example if you take a photo of a fair skinned person surrounded by grass you will often get a green reflection from the grass on their skin. There is nothing wrong with your white balance in that case. The green is reflecting off of the skin.
BUT... an image can have a color cast that is from the overall white balance.

In the second one here I am guessing there is a reflection on her jaw from whatever is in front of her and it's either red/maroon/dk pink.

What are you using as your editing program and are you shooting in raw and processing or jpeg?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back