C&C - An experiment with perspective

Tim Tucker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What it is:
Three separate images of two pieces of graffiti in my favourite derelict, the shadows are from the iron roof trusses (roofing long since gone). What is weird and not obvious is the two end panels are shot square, but the middle panel is shot at 45 degrees to the wall. You're looking at the whole thing from two different angles.

Last edited:
Darned is what we will be.

Wonder what it looks like without the lines in the thirds? Interesting that the thirds lines appear to bend when in fact they are dead straight.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wonder what it looks like without the lines in the thirds? Interesting that the thirds lines appear to bend when in fact they are dead straight.

It would be very difficult to line everything up because the middle panel is shot at such a different angle to the other two.
The illusion works, I think, because of the very clear delineation between the three images and the way that some of the overlying patterns and lines seem to ignore this. The horizontal shadow at the top of the middle panel (it only appears horizontal when viewed at an angle) plays a fair role in letting you anchor some false conclusions, and trying to line things up without disturbing it would be next to impossible.
Acknowledgement should also go to the artist responsible for the graffiti on the left.

Not quite thirds, but a root 5 rectangle, (2.236:1), and the relationship of the central square to each panel is 1.618:1 or Golden Ratio.

It would be very difficult to line everything up because the middle panel is shot at such a different angle to the other two.
The illusion works, I think, because of the very clear delineation between the three images and the way that some of the overlying patterns and lines seem to ignore this. The horizontal shadow at the top of the middle panel (it only appears horizontal when viewed at an angle) plays a fair role in letting you anchor some false conclusions, and trying to line things up without disturbing it would be next to impossible.
Acknowledgement should also go to the artist responsible for the graffiti on the left.

Not quite thirds, but a root 5 rectangle, (2.236:1), and the relationship of the central square to each panel is 1.618:1 or Golden Ratio.
I see. Well done sir. You did in fact get what you were after, proven by the optical illusion (bending) of the thirds (almost). Very painterly approach. Very inspired. Would you consider it a finished piece? I am considering nominating it for October POTM

I see. Well done sir. You did in fact get what you were after, proven by the optical illusion (bending) of the thirds (almost). Very painterly approach. Very inspired. Would you consider it a finished piece? I am considering nominating it for October POTM

Thanks for the confidence, but it's more of a chance encounter that evolved into something that's neither complete or polished.

I certainly wouldn't hold it up against some of the other work I've seen this week.

Thanks for the confidence, but it's more of a chance encounter that evolved into something that's neither complete or polished.

I certainly wouldn't hold it up against some of the other work I've seen this week.
Fair enough, it is very good

I think it is nice work in making your 2D interpretation of the scene at that particular point in time.

Most reactions

Back