C&C and Suggestions for next shoot

JillH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are some photos I took at a greenhouse a couple of springs ago. I'm going to another greenhouse this week and would like to improve on my photo technique on similar shots. It is supposed to be a brilliantly sunny day on the day of my trip (as was the day these photos were taken). TIA
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I hate to see someone new post and not recieve any comments so I'll give this a shot. We've all seen flower shots before. You have to find a way to set yours apart from everyone else's shot. Different angles or exposures can help you find your own way to showcase a flower.

1. Has nice colors but nothing special
2. Kind of boring. What are you trying to portray? Think about that before taking
picture.
3. Nice colors again but the subject is hiding in the background. It doesn't really
pop out.
4. Pretty neat angle and very sharp.

Next time you upload images make them larger. Are you doing any post processing in photoshop or something? It seems you've put these on a canvas and then saved them without cropping out the rest of the canvas.

If you don't get comments it usually means that the image doesn't suck but there's nothing really memorable to comment on.

Keep shooting and keep posting!!!!

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I know, flower shots are a dime a dozen so I am interested in what I can do to make mine stand out from the crowd. And I know that it isn't easy.

I'm currently using Microsoft Digital Image Suite to post process. These are probably relatively small because of the current upload source. I'm working on that! :blushing:

PS - love the kitty in your avatar!

I do like the colors.
Trying to be creative is not as easy as it sounds. This is something that I strugle with too.

I really like 4.

2 seems to have really harsh shadows and the subject seems to be hot with light.

All I can say is that just when you think you have a good photo, you come on here and they blow you away with some of the shots they take.
It can be discouraging to say the least. But hang in there and keep working at it. All that matters is that you are enjoying your work, unless you are trying to go pro or something. lol
Another thing I have found here is that some of the comments can be brutal so hope you have thick skin for it. You have to weed out the comments of those who are just full of themselves. lol

ronniemc: no problem with brutal comments - I know I have a lot to learn, and I've already gotten a ton of good ideas and information lurking around on other posts in the short time I've been here. Honestly, almost all the photos I've taken (and posted here) have been taken on the auto setting of my D50, so I'm not operating under any illusions that I know how to take spectacular pictures! Sometimes I just get lucky. I'm going to try to stretch myself and try new things this week and see how they turn out.

tertis: #2 may be a bit over processed. The original file is much lighter, so perhaps I amped up the contrast on this particular version too much.

Thanks all!

3 and 4 are nice. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back