C&C: Crane

CraniumDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevendavisphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of my first shots, taken with my new Rebel XS, and my 75-300mm lens at 300mm, from about 100 feet away. It's not completely sharp, maybe cuz of camera shake, but it's not bad. Here is the original and the cropped PP'd one. I noticed when I bumped up the saturation on the PP'd one, the crane has a slight purplish glow around it, perhaps cuz it's out of focus, or maybe I just bumped up the colors TOO much. Thoughts on how I can improve next time?

n77000136_30492673_4738.jpg
n77000136_30492963_120.jpg

well, the purplish tint is the chromatic abberations, they often show up between extremely bright and darker areas.

Probably the biggest problem is that the bird is over exposed and the highlights and details are not there.

well, the purplish tint is the chromatic abberations, they often show up between extremely bright and darker areas.

Probably the biggest problem is that the bird is over exposed and the highlights and details are not there.

yeah, probably because the rest of the shot is much darker. how can i compensate for that next time? reduce the exposure 1-2 stops?

That's some pretty wicked purple fringing. That mostly happens at really harsh contrast transitions, such as from the bird to the dark stuff behind it. The bird lost all detail, so underexposing could have helped. Also, I would guess that you were shooting at 18mm and a wide aperture? It seems to be worse with wide lenses and wide apertures.

That's some pretty wicked purple fringing. That mostly happens at really harsh contrast transitions, such as from the bird to the dark stuff behind it. The bird lost all detail, so underexposing could have helped. Also, I would guess that you were shooting at 18mm and a wide aperture? It seems to be worse with wide lenses and wide apertures.

no, as i said in the first post, it was taken with a 75-300mm lens at 300mm, cuz it was pretty far away. i think it's just cuz i didnt have a tripod and the contrast jump.

When shooting a white bird, or anything white that takes up a small area of the photo, stop down several stops from what the meter is reading.

Do the opposite if the white area takes up a large area of the frame, like snow or sand, because the meter will be fooled into thinking the picture is much lighter than it is, so you'll need to overexpose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back