C&C Flower in NYC street planter

TomBlaze

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is the first shot I ever took with my Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens. I like it for the most part. I tweaked the vibrancy and contrast in RAW and touched up a few spots in PS.

Does it look too over-processed?

3823985733_0eff4bb6f3_o.jpg

My knee jerk reaction was it is over worked.
Then
I looked at it a little more and it intrigues me.

The flower seems to be trying to get out of the frame and reach me....:confused:

It doesn't look really OTT to me. Did you spot meter for the highlight on the petal? I'm just trying to suss it because in the background (green bokeh, left) its starting to posterize like you've lifted that area a lot when it was underexposed. Applying sharpening across the whole scene makes the petals look nice but effects the bokeh also which maybe isn't desirable. What enhancements did you do in PS?

It doesn't look really OTT to me. Did you spot meter for the highlight on the petal? I'm just trying to suss it because in the background (green bokeh, left) its starting to posterize like you've lifted that area a lot when it was underexposed. Applying sharpening across the whole scene makes the petals look nice but effects the bokeh also which maybe isn't desirable. What enhancements did you do in PS?

Here is the original. No enhancements. The sun was high in the sky which is why I went hard on the contrast. I used the targeted luminance tool in the RAW editor to darken the background for a strong contrast with the subject. I double-checked my RAW settings from the original shot and I did not enhance the sharpening at all. Most of this look came from tweaking the curve for a strong contrast. It's your standard deep S-curve. I may have applied a high pass filter but I do not have the layered file on this computer to verify. I do no think so though. I tend to only use that on B&W images.

4580058140_1b84824184_b.jpg

It is missing the NYC Street!

Nice shot of the flower though...

It doesn't look over processed (a bit dark) but my comment would be lose the top 20% or so as that will bring the focus more to the flowers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back