C&C Miscellaneous

lschaaf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hope I'm loading this right! I'd love some constructive critiques!

1. Took while in drivers seat out the passenger window. Fully automatic. Just as I was trying to change settings, my 8yo daughter stuck her head out the window and said "Sweeeeet!" Didn't really have a chance to do other composition, but wanted to know if there is something I could have done better, ie crop the island to the left, zoomed closer and not tried for reflection etc..

3164066378_f053c47834.jpg

2. Close up of tiger on carousel. f4.5 at 1/125, ISO200, focal length 56.7mm

3096578145_b95fb2f902.jpg

3. Trying out my new Rayonex macro lens on my FZ28

3163226517_f919c948d9.jpg

4. My first photography class at the local zoo. f3.7 at 1/200, ISO 200, focal length 44mm

3097395520_3c2b108557.jpg

I look forward to your opinions!

Hi. I like your lake photo and thought it could be enhanced in PhotoShop. It seemed the tree and brush to the left, and also the reflections, were a little strong, taking attention away from the bird, so I lightened them a little. Also tried to improve the local contrast in specific areas via dodging and burning. Then, used Image=Adjustments=Black and White, and adjusted the sliders for each color for the best B&W look. And finally, used levels for overall brightness and contrast. Of course, this will be a "preference thing," and you can do it so many different ways. But see what you think.

IschaafLandscapeadjust.jpg

I really liked what you did, it does bring the attention back to the heron. I'll have to play around with converting to B&W with some of the other marsh shots I took that week. Thanks!

Lisa

Lisa: Working with Black and White will really help you improve your photography. Once you remove the "distraction" of color, you just have the compositional elements, the light and shadow.

Another fun thing is to desaturate the color in a color photo (50 to 70%) on a separate layer in Photoshop, then selectively erase (at 60 to 90%) some areas on that layer to bring the color back (the lower layer in full color will show through).

Also, try painting colors (on clear layers) onto your black and white photo, for the hand-colored effect. You can get very artistic with this kind of thing, and the options are endless. If I have time tonight, I'll give you an example of this. Photography is fun!

--Dick

Just remember that making a photo black and white DOESN'T automatically make it better or more artistic.

While I'm not a fan of number 2, you did a good job in selecting an interesting subject. It's a bit abstract for my tastes, but others might like it.

I never thought of myself as an abstract art person, but I have noticed I take quite a few like that!

Dick, I'd love to see the color layer options if you get the time!

damn how close to that animal where you were only at 44mm?

Hi, Lisa: Okay, I got a chance to hand color your "Heron on the Lake" photo. I just used a bunch of clear layers on which I painted various colors with the brush tool at 20%, 30%, and 40% (on color setting), then erasing here and there, adjusting the opacity on different layers a bit, adjusting the hue and saturation on individual colors on some layers, etc. I did this in about 30 minutes, which is way too rushed. So, this will look sloppy, but I hope it gives you an idea what you can do. Black and white photos can look very cool colored this way. But take your time. And if you need any additional info, let me know. Good luck.

IschaafLandscapehandcolored.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, Lisa: Okay, I got a chance to hand color your "Heron on the Lake" photo. I just used a bunch of clear layers on which I painted various colors with the brush tool at 20%, 30%, and 40% (on color setting), then erasing here and there, adjusting the opacity on different layers a bit, adjusting the hue and saturation on individual colors on some layers, etc. I did this in about 30 minutes, which is way too rushed. So, this will look sloppy, but I hope it gives you an idea what you can do. Black and white photos can look very cool colored this way. But take your time. And if you need any additional info, let me know. Good luck.

IschaafLandscapehandcolored.jpg
Wow! That's very cool! There's a lot I need to learn, I've just been a point, shoot and print as-is type person. It's amazing how you can make photos pop!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back