What's new

C&C: Neighbourhoodscaping the place I grew up :)

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Aug 29, 2010
Messages
3,400
Reaction score
657
Location
Norway
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's where I've grown up. Colour and monochrome versions. Several exposures merged in Photomatix, and tonemapped there. Small adjustments done in PS.


Porsvik 7 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr



Porsvik 7 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr


The small "mountain" (my vocabulary lack a word for such small "mountains" that really aren't mountains at all) is another fine place for viewful shots. Thanks for looking, and thanks if you bother to tell me your opinions :)
 
Interesting perspective ... though I am not fond of the HDR.

Umm, did you happen to live a solitary life on the mountain (shunned by the villagers) ... sorry just had to say that.:-P
 
i like the colour version, the red and orange houses are fun, it looks like a cartoon town or something.

the transition of shadow to sunlight on the mountain is a little distracting though, it drastically changes the shade of the greens
 
I happened to enjoy the transition to sun. The Sun sets really early here, much much earlier than other places nearby. So I find it a little fun.

What's bothering you about the tonemapping? Surely this must be considered a realistic treatment? :)
 
Yeap, the greens in the shadows are green, but the ones in the sun are more yellow... I agree with the color houses on the right part, but I think I'd try to pop-up a little bit the red houses on the left, just to balance the picture
Anyway, the photo is really cool. You've got yourself a really nice postcard of your town.
 
Here's where I've grown up. Colour and monochrome versions. Several exposures merged in Photomatix, and tonemapped there. Small adjustments done in PS.


Porsvik 7 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr



Porsvik 7 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr


The small "mountain" (my vocabulary lack a word for such small "mountains" that really aren't mountains at all) is another fine place for viewful shots. Thanks for looking, and thanks if you bother to tell me your opinions :)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As far as geologists are concerned, you could call just about any sort of positive topographic feature a mountain and probably get away with it . Geographers, on the other hand, who's primary interests often concern topographic anomalies like mountains and basins, usually reserve the term "mountain" for a positive topographic feature which rises to a height of at least 305 "metres" (I'm from Australia) above the surrounding terrain. Anything less than 305m in height is considered a hill, and anything considerably less than 305m is termed a "hillock." [/FONT]
 

Thanks! That thing in the background, that's 200 metres high. Would that be considered a hill? Even if it's all rock? I thought hills were grassy :)

Thanks for the comments, folks. Am I understanding it correctly when I say that you find the yellow in the trees annoying? Should I make them green, and not make it this clear that part of this place is in shadow? According to you, I mean. I quite like it as it is, but I'm very open for opinions!

Btw, those yellow trees are birches, the green ones (in the back) are pines. Birches have yellower leaves than pines :)
 
Umm, did you happen to live a solitary life on the mountain (shunned by the villagers) ... sorry just had to say that.:-P

LOL. I went up there once, and found an old cabin. Looks like they've chased someone up there, but not me :)
 
Motorhomes, trampolines, lawns, station wagons... It appears suburban Norway and Suburban USA are not so dissimilar. Okay, sorry for the social commentary. I really like to examine photos closely and spot the unusual, or in this case, the familiar.

#1: This is nice. I like the composition of this photo, though I'm unsure if the focus is more the mountain (hillock, rocky peak, butte, whatever..) or the residential setting. Well, it doesn't bother me that I can't decide as there is so much to look at. The tonemapping takes a moment to appreciate. At least it does for me; I'm not a huge fan such processing in general, and here in particular it's pushing the limit for me. I especially like the contrast between shadowy dynamic mountain and quiet saturated neighborhood.

#2: The B&W with tonemapping doesn't move me.
 
Great reply, Jaemie :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom