C&C on my Grad friend! :)

amandalee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm really just looking for what I can improve on. I know the sky was blown out in a couple. I'm really just trying to get tips on enhancing my pictures and wanted to know what I need to work on! Thanks loves!

P.S. Sorry for the watermark... (I already know some of you hate it ;) )

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i...70893579_152226421521834_331822_8237027_n.jpg
184148_158508970893579_152226421521834_331822_8237027_n.jpg

216723_158508930893583_152226421521834_331821_3221561_n.jpg

223648_158509890893487_152226421521834_331844_1978464_n.jpg

254695_158509080893568_152226421521834_331824_7605802_n.jpg

284224_158510270893449_152226421521834_331852_1246379_n.jpg

Thanks again! :)

On #1 and #2, it looks like the horizontal line is a bit off. The subject is too centered. Also, did you artificially blurred out the trees on the sides? It seems like the track looks to be in focus but the trees on the sides are blurred out, which has an artificial feel to it.

On #3, it would have been really nice if you use flash to brighten her face.

... just my observation... =)

Last edited:
ok I see what you mean about the horizontal... I've never even thought to check that before! Learned something new to keep in mind! Thanks! The centered-ness I agree... I thought it wold give more depth to the picture? and yes they were PP blurred lol :)

For 3 I currently don't have an OCF and the pop up I hate the harsh shadows it causes so I figured it'd be better just to do without :) I really need to invest in some reflectors but with tuition to pay tomorrow it will have to wait :(

Thanks for the critique! I appreciate it!

I really need to invest in some reflectors but with tuition to pay tomorrow it will have to wait :(

DIY it. Poster board is cheap. OK, so what's with all the tilting? Have you learned nothing here at TPF? Are you going to selective color next? :sexywink:

Seriously, I want to like #5, I think it's the best of the bunch, but the tilt kills it for me.

#3 I would have tried the pop up flash anyway. The only good use I've ever found for a pop up is for a little fill flash outdoors. It never hurts to try, and sometimes the results are acceptable.

All in all, not a bad set.

I agree about the tilted horizon in the first one (maybe two). When you have something in the photo, like a flat horizon or rails like this, it can really stand out if it's not level...so try to shoot it as level as possible. It's easy to fix in post, but you'll need to crop it once you rotate it, so you'll need to have enough room around the subject.

The lighting is pretty harsh in most of these. She looks to be slightly underexposed yet there are blown out spots on her. This can be tricky because while you are using nice directional sunlight, the direct sunlight will usually cause a situation where you can't expose for both the highlights and the shadows. Ideally, I'd use a large diffusion panel between her and the sun.

In number three, the sky is blown...whatever. But she is really underexposed. This is where a flash or reflector would really help.

You've purposely tilted the rest of the shots (after 1 & 2). That's fine, that's your choice...but don't over do it. I know that this is a small sample size, but if you are delivering photos to a client, I'd suggest that most of them shouldn't be tilted. Unless that is your 'signature style' and they hired you because they like tilted shots.

The last one is by far the best IMO. Her face looks to be properly exposed and she doesn't appear to have any blown out highlights on her. They sky is still blown, but that's OK because it's not an important part of the photo.

Also, mind your posing. The pose in #1 and #4 are not flattering to her (it makes her butt look big). Notice how different her body looks between #1 and #2...she looks taller and slimmer in #2, and that's simple because of the posing.

wanted to love #3 but the tilt killed it for me.... woulda used some fill flash i think. but im no expert with that. not lovin the poses on 1 & 4, seem pretty unflattering to me. sounds like were all on similar pages as far as CC goes.

If you recrop the first two, I think you'll be ok. I agree with the blown parts of the images that Mike talked about. I also agree with what he said regarding image 4. I'm not in love with the last one at all, because her knees/leg look really weird to me. The third is probably the best, but I still don't like the leg thing. Next time, have your subject really stretch those legs out, nice and long.

The camera perspective is good. A diffuser camera right would have toned down the very harsh light. Plus it would have allowed you to
  • add reflected or strobed light from camera left
  • or fill flash from near the lens axis to lessen the dynamic range between the shadows and the bright parts and to get light to her eye sockets
  • strobed light would have let you control the ambient light separately from the strobed light so you could better separate her from the background.
It is virtually impossible to make really good people photos without some kind of supplimental lighting. The light use in all of them is inadequet.

In #2 the leading lines can't be seen disappearing in the background, so they don't lead the eye pout of the frame.

Last edited:
The camera perspective is good. A diffuser camera right would have toned down the very harsh light. Plus it would have allowed you to
  • add reflected ot strobed light from camera left
  • or fill flash from near the lens axis to lessen the dynamic range between the shadows and the bright parts and to get light to her eye sockets
  • strobed light would have let you control the ambient light separately from the strobed light so you could better separate her from the background.
It is virtually impossible to make really good people photos without some kind of supplimental lighting. The light use in all of them is inadequet.

In #2 the leading lines can't be seen disappearing in the background, so they don't lead the eye pout of the frame.
Great visuals for the critique...but you didn't mention that is probably needs to be rotated so that the planks aren't askew to the frame.

Since you and others had already covered that, I didn't mention it. My bottom recommended crop line shows how tilted the image is.

Wow guys! Thanks so much for giving such great CC! I really can't get better help than that!

KMH I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to do such an in-depth visual! I feel I learn better if I can see it and I really appreciate that! And sorry again about the obnoxious signature lol! I know its not an excuse but I just took these off of Facebook since my laptop is currently wounded.

Can I ask how the colors are coming out? I am using a laptop and don't know that it is calibrated????

This is a friend of mine that I have known since jr. high and she lets me use her to practice stuff. The tilting was a result of someone telling me mypictures were too straight forward and could use some tilt so I tried it. I guess I know not to tilt too much or tilt when I have horizontals :)

Anyone know a good at home way to make a diffuser? lol thanks for the poster board idea BTW!!!! I will definitely use that! And I've heard about using the popup outdoors so I'll need to try that too!

And thank you for the posing tips as well. Yet again another thing I need to keep in mind. When I model I always have that in mind but as a photographer I never think about it too much!

I also want you guys to know I don't get paid for my pictures :) I just give them the cd of theirs and some people feel like they want to donate to my college fund but thats all I ever get! :) Thanks again friends!

I also want you guys to know I don't get paid for my pictures :) I just give them the cd of theirs and some people feel like they want to donate to my college fund but thats all I ever get! :) Thanks again friends!

Screw college, get moar gear!!! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back