What's new

C&C on photo please

sarisotta_21

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
79
Reaction score
2
Location
Oklahoma
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC_0036_edited-1_zps87254f28.jpg
 
Focus drop off starts at the left side of her nose and is completely oof by the time it hits the far side of her hair. :thumbdown: Stop down a stop or a half stop, crop much tighter and try again. Practice does indeed lead to being much more perfect.
 
Last edited:
I was thinking compose slightly looser and move her off center horizontally to give the wall a better chance to develop.

You can try both composition suggestions and see which works better.

For OOF, you can also try making sure her face is fully flat to the camera so you get both eyes at the same distance. Probably easier with a patient adult than with a child though, so stopping down is a better "rule" for shooting kids in general.
 
Last edited:
I boo-boo'ed when I said open up a stop, really meant close down to increase the depth of field. My bad :(. I did edit a crop but still felt the oof was too much a hinderance. Kids are tough to shoot and brick walls are even tougher. There's something about shooting against a brick wall that creates instand problems in shooting portraits and for me its the convergence of so many intersecting lines drawing the eye away from the subject. I think every shot looks too much like a mug shot :wink:.
 
I bet you got a 50mmF1.8 for Christmas, people always shoot everything at F1.8 when they first get one being that close F4-F5.6 would have been better, this is a delete and reshoot
 
I bet you got a 50mmF1.8 for Christmas, people always shoot everything at F1.8 when they first get one being that close F4-F5.6 would have been better, this is a delete and reshoot

Actually I shot it with a 35 and I've had it for awhile...just looking for advice on how to improve my portraits..............
 
I boo-boo'ed when I said open up a stop, really meant close down to increase the depth of field. My bad :(. I did edit a crop but still felt the oof was too much a hinderance. Kids are tough to shoot and brick walls are even tougher. There's something about shooting against a brick wall that creates instand problems in shooting portraits and for me its the convergence of so many intersecting lines drawing the eye away from the subject. I think every shot looks too much like a mug shot :wink:.

Thanks for the input, and yes this girl was very hard to shoot it was her birthday and she was soooo cranky the only way I got a few shots was to let her take a picture hee hee.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom