C&C on the technical aspect...

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know these pictures are not "interesting"...

I made sure there was no bad cropping (IMO at least), I did the custom white balance (although it still seems kind of off to me...), I used the metering (made sure the bar was under the 0) and they all still seem a bit underexposed to me... What am I doing wrong? :(

002-5.jpg

001-4.jpg

004-4.jpg

Last edited:
The white balance looks good.

The problem with your metering is that you are probably using scene evaluative which is going to underexpose because of the white background takes up a majority of the scene. Snow will have the same affect. To assure proper exposure on the single subject, use spot metering and take the reading off the phone/wine bottle. Take care not to meter a reflective part of the phone...try to find a part that seems "neutral" in brightness, like the keypad of the phone, and the label of the bottle.

Or you can compensate for the white background and "overexpose" according to the evaluative metering.

So that's a bit weird... every time I think I do good, everyone (not necessarily here... life in general) tells me I suck lol...

When I think I suck, I am told I did good... freakin craziness man lol

Nah, I didn't say you sucked. It's just a technical issue that you weren't aware of.

The images aren't showing up for me...

Remember, the info I gave you was very basic. Metering get's more complicated, but at least you are starting to think about it. Step by step you will learn more about how to meter, what to meter, when to do different than what the meter says, etc.

shoot... let me repost them...

I moved them, but they are still showing up for me... grrr..

fixed the pictures :) just reposted them :)

Nah, I didn't say you sucked. It's just a technical issue that you weren't aware of.

Just to clarify. I thought I did a really crappy job with this (despite trying to make sure everything was right). Your comment more or less made it sound like I did a food Jon except for the spot metering thing.

I did play with that but I think I need to read more about it because it didn't seem to change the camera's idea of good exposure.

Hi, Sarah.

I think first you'll want to spend some time on learning to "see light" and how to create lighting.

It's not rocket science, but it's essential to learn some of the basics.

It's good that you've made these photos. It's all part of learning. Now... do a bit of reading about lighting this sort of work and have another go at it.

Remember: Adequate lighting is not the same thing as proper lighting.

Good luck!

-Pete

Ah, if photography, metering, composition and so on were easy that most people would get it on their first few shots, then everyone would be a photographer.

Like any other trade, it takes patience and practice to even get to an acceptable level.

Keep at it!

Just to clarify. I thought I did a really crappy job with this (despite trying to make sure everything was right). Your comment more or less made it sound like I did a food Jon except for the spot metering thing.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. :lmao: I just said your white balance looked correct. Add some creative light to these exact same setups you have and I think you'll see the quality of the shots go WAY up. As they are, they are 'boringly' lit and underexposed.

I think technically, the telephone photos need more light coming from the front. On the wine bottle, I do not like the tall, black outline that shows up in the middle of the catchlight. The "break" in the catchlight from the top of the bottle to the neck of the bottle is a bit disconcerting, and the bottom of the bottle loses the catchlight as well, so it does not look like a professional photo. But please do not be discouraged--these are some of your very earliest sample efforts in an entirely new area of photography for you!

I think tomorrow I am going to go outside to shoot... this indoor shooting crap is killing me! lol

I think first you'll want to spend some time on learning to "see light" and how to create lighting.

Now... do a bit of reading about lighting this sort of work and have another go at it.

Remember: Adequate lighting is not the same thing as proper lighting.

Good luck!

-Pete

Christie

Learning to see light...very interesting comment.

What reading would you suggest?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back