C&C pic from photo class

socal82

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was shooting with a 50mm 1.8 I have lots more but some of the images do not seem in focus. I was using center weighted metering. Any ideas? FOcus was on her eyes

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

Last edited:
Why did you use f/22, ISO-1600 and 1/200th of a second ?

If your in a photo class why did you let the camera choose the settings F22 iso1600 crazy, fit model what a shame you didn't get some great shots of her

First impressions: watch your backgrounds! - in the first one she has all sorts of tree branches growing out of her head, the fence-line running through her head and that block of concrete(?) right beside her waist - these all detract from the image of a very pretty young woman - also not a fan of the "open arm pit" pose, even though it is covered up. The second one is a lot better, although she could be smiling - take this pose with the smile from the first one and you have a winner, although there is still the thing about branches growing from her head. Have a look at this posting - on a different forum - it is about posing and portraiture - The Rules Of Good Portraiture .

Anyway, my 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

The images are soft due to high ISO, and the usage of such a small aperture. You can see the diffraction which causes the "soft focus" look. f/22 is not an optically prime aperture to be using, I'd suggest between f/5.6 and f/8. You also don't want to be using ISO 1600 if you can avoid it, which you clearly can as it was a bright and sunny day.

Shoot at ISO 100 on f/5.6 and see how that effects your sharpness.

I'm a noob, and this is my first shot at a C&C, so take this with few grains of salt but:

Pic 1: Composition/pose isn't bad, except that the concrete block behind her needs to not be there. Way too much depth of field IMO, ISO too high.
Pic 2: Needs fill flash, again too much depth of field. Good thing your model is attractive enough to grab the eye, because the photographer's emphasis seems to be more on the background.
Pic 3: As above, plus not big on the pose in this one.

JM

I know about the iso. Rookie mistake forgot to change it back from the last time I used it. After about 30 MIN I realized o had it on 1600. I think in these shot we were using P mode. After these shots we went to AV. I did get good shots after I figured out I was at 1600. Lesson learn

I know about the iso. Rookie mistake forgot to change it back from the last time I used it. After about 30 MIN I realized o had it on 1600. I think in these shot we were using P mode. After these shots we went to AV. I did get good shots after I figured out I was at 1600. Lesson learn

High ISO is only half the battle. Did you take photos with a LARGER aperture? f/22 is harming the IQ more than ISO 1600 is.

Then why did you post these bad photos ?

I posted the pic to figure out why I was getting such a soft look. I have only been taking pic for 2 months and didn't know why.

Did you take photos with a LARGER aperture? f/22 is harming the IQ more than ISO 1600 is.

o hey tyler said:
High ISO is only half the battle. Did you take photos with a LARGER aperture? f/22 is harming the IQ more than ISO 1600 is.

I was in P mode I think that's why it was such a large aperture.

o hey tyler said:

No, f/22 is a very very small aperture. f/1.8 is larger than f/22.

socal82 said:

F/22 is a small aperture....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back