C&C Please on something a little different

OOOhhh...LOVE IT!...just one suggestion...stick a pin into the potato with a popcorn on it? :)

I would have added a remote control, which would have helped the viewer recognize the blue glow as "tv lighting". Just an idea!

:popcorn: :)

I'm not taking this too seriously at this point because I don't really NEED a photo of a potato on a couch.... :p

(I thought EVERYBODY needs a spud-shot!)

I like the SOOC over the edited since it retains the couch definition and preserves the shot's impact. Of course, this results in a relatively small spud. Don't know how to avoid this w/o a 2 foot high Idaho brown!

OOOhhh...LOVE IT!...just one suggestion...stick a pin into the potato with a popcorn on it? :)

Come on now, I wouldn't want to make it cheesy. :p

I would have added a remote control, which would have helped the viewer recognize the blue glow as "tv lighting". Just an idea!

Actually that's a cute idea. If I'd had something more reflective than the bowl it would have shown the blue light from the flash in the shoot-through umbrella (last time I used a bounce umbrella), but unfortunately it didn't reflect like I wanted it to. The popcorn added so much to the scene though (thanks Bitter!), that to throw anything else in there on top of that would have taken away from the less-is-more approach. My hope would be that once you realize the photo is a "couch potato" you would automatically figure out where the blue glow is coming from, so yeah, even though it's a pretty pointless shot, it does make you think a little teeny bit.

:popcorn: :)

I'm not taking this too seriously at this point because I don't really NEED a photo of a potato on a couch.... :p

(I thought EVERYBODY needs a spud-shot!)

I like the SOOC over the edited since it retains the couch definition and preserves the shot's impact. Of course, this results in a relatively small spud. Don't know how to avoid this w/o a 2 foot high Idaho brown!

I have to admit that even the SOOC shot is an improvement over the original one I posted to start the thread. I did wrestle with where to crop the image so that you could still tell it was a couch, and part of that decision was, how big do I want to make the potato in post? Did I want some comically oversized potato, or something just big enough to command attention?

BTW I had to paint in the shadow of the potato after I resized it. That was the most challenging part. Plus, if you look at the shadow of the popcorn on the potato you'll notice that the angle of the ambient light was actually a bit higher than it appears to be in the finished shot, because I didn't do anything to try to fix the popcorn's shadow after the resize. :)

BTW I had to paint in the shadow of the potato after I resized it. That was the most challenging part. Plus, if you look at the shadow of the popcorn on the potato you'll notice that the angle of the ambient light was actually a bit higher than it appears to be in the finished shot, because I didn't do anything to try to fix the popcorn's shadow after the resize. :)

Overall, some mightly fine work!! :thumbup:

SOOC:
DSC_1185-3.jpg

Edited:
DSC_1185.jpg

I don't have the expertise to provide any C&C, but I can tell you that, as a layman, I love the picture. Absolutely great!!!
Gonzo

I like the idea, but I would have used a more easily-identifiable vegetable (even though that kills the couch potato play) only because at a glance it can be mistaken for something else

Most reactions

New Topics

Back