C&C Please

nFocusMedia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got into photography took it as just a class. But now I like it a lot. I have done a few photo shoots but not sure how they turned out. I think they turned out pretty well. Can you please give me some C&C.

jackie3.jpg

Here is one of the pictures that I think came out pretty well.

Well to be frank, the picture you posted doesn't draw me at all. There's nothing really pleasing to my eye. For one, you cut off her hands. Big no no...we don't like chopped limbs. Too much dead space above her head. My eyes are drawn to the left of the picture, where the white clouds are, then to her face. For ME, there's too much background, not enough girl. I don't know a dang about lighting/fill lighting or any of that so I'll leave well enough alone but I do like that I can see the detail of her hair and her face. I just wish the hands hadn't been chopped off. Maybe post a few other pics? She seems like a pretty girl.

Though not a portrait photographer...........and sometimes I don't even consider myself a photographer...........most of the time actually. Like 99%.
What you have here is a landscape with a model in the foreground sitting on 1/3 of the image.
Nothing wrong with rule of thirds, but this isn't what I consider using it effectively.
This should be a portrait or a landscape. Not both.
In my opinion, you do not have the right setting here for portrait. Way too much dead space around the model. I dunno. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Arms are cut off...........etc.
Like I said, I don't do people. So I may be completely off base.

Adding to what the others said... It's definitely not bad, but it doesn't really do anything for me either.
It's very yellow. As in she has jaundice yellow. The crop on her arms is very odd. It's kind of like she accidentally popped into your landscape. The harsh shadows falling on her neck don't speak to me, but they are ok. they aren't falling on the face and eyes, so it's not as bad as it could be. The butterfly effect under the nose isn't so flattering. It makes her nose appear longer than it actually is.
Your exposure is good for what you are working with. The harsh light on her face is really kind of hard on the eyes here.

Oh. Wow. Well...
1. is overexposed and.. well... it's ok. I guess. She doesn't have the sexy lazy look to her, she has the stoned look. The aperture was too closed down and that tree in complete focus is competing with her.

2.she's very underexposed and orange. That fuzzy hair draws your eye right to it. . The black eyes don't give you a closed eye look or an open lazy eye... it looks more like you caught her in a mid blink... I see what you are trying for... I think. but this isn't it.

3. is pretty fair on the exposure. It's mid blink again. That hair isn't flattering and the butterfly on the face is a detraction. The placement isn't so hot on the composition. She's not balancing well in the image.

4. The crop??? Either it's a head shot or a full body shot, but you have cropped her feet off and they're part of this shot. The perspective distortion makes her look like she's got the shoulders of a linebacker. The stoned look isn't flattering her nor is the hair mess. She has the curves and ability to be a good subject to practice on, but before you do a sexy shoot like this you need a little more education than whatever class you took.
Sorry to be so harsh, but those are the things you learn from.

It wasn't harsh at all. I understand now that looking at the photos. She was the one who picked all the poses. I will be reading on poses and looking at them all now. I will be telling her the poses.

She can choose poses and that would be fine, but you need to know how to use them and you need to LOOK at what you are seeing in the viewfinder. Not as a girl or whatever... but as light and dark, shadow and light, what is flattering and what isn't... Closed eyes isn't posing, it's closed eyes.
You need to control your exposures. I assume you were using a priority mode or auto and either evaluative metering. Your exposures are all over the place as is your color. A priority mode is fine, but you need to have a better grasp of how your camera is metering and be able to control the exposure you are creating.
Your large depth of field or depth of focus tells me that you aren't using the exposure elements to control how your image comes out. If you were controlling it you'd have chosen a much wider aperture in order to keep the backgrounds out of focus and eliminate distractions.
I'd suggest you do a complete study on good composition and then spend an intimate month with aperture, then an intimate month with shutter speed until you know how it effects the image and you can control it.
THEN I'd start on the 40 rules of good portraiture... which could take a lifetime! LOL! I am forever forgetting something-or a lot of somethings!

Most reactions

Back