C&C please

samcolby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
1. $capital building 2.jpg

Not a bad image, except that "bar" through the bottom part just ruins the whole image - my opinion. Also, on my monitor, it appears to be a bit overexposed. I would also crop out the lamp and trees on the lower left. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

How come you thank the positive comments and ignore the others?

I seriously don't know where you're coming from. Were you expecting him to respond to the below?

I don't know what you want me to look at.

Your comment was not a critique or a criticism. What's more, the OP responded to the others who gave him actual feedback, both positive and critical (notice the comment about the bar being distracting by both WesternGuy & Freqency).

It seems you're questioning why the OP didn't respond to you. Well, I suspect he didn't respond to you because your comment was useless.

Dear GhostDog,

It was a statement that I had no idea what was important in the picture.
If someone takes a picture, i can only assume that what is in the frame is there on purpose and I didn't understand what I was supposed to be looking at.
Since you seem to know, why don't you explain it?

I chided the OP to answer me because responding to questions is a good way to learn.

L

I seriously don't know where you're coming from. Were you expecting him to respond to the below?

Your comment was not a critique or a criticism. What's more, the OP responded to the others who gave him actual feedback, both positive and critical (notice the comment about the bar being distracting by both WesternGuy & Freqency).

It seems you're questioning why the OP didn't respond to you. Well, I suspect he didn't respond to you because your comment was useless.

I think that the Traveler was trying to ask the OP what they were looking for C&C about, i.e. was it for the exposure, the concept, the composition, etc.,etc, etc....it's always a bit difficult to know what to say when someone posts a photo with no other comment other than a general request for C&C.

To the OP, what were your own thoughts about this picture? You said that you also thought the bar was distracting, what else would you say yourself about it? Oh, and what were your exposure settings (if you want C&C on that aspect)?

I think that the Traveler was trying to ask the OP what they were looking for C&C about, i.e. was it for the exposure, the concept, the composition, etc.,etc, etc....it's always a bit difficult to know what to say when someone posts a photo with no other comment other than a general request for C&C.

To the OP, what were your own thoughts about this picture? You said that you also thought the bar was distracting, what else would you say yourself about it? Oh, and what were your exposure settings (if you want C&C on that aspect)?

I am with GhostDog on this one. When I post some for C&C I want to hear your opinion on the shot, not to renforce any ideas I had on it. I want to hear from a completely different perspective/voice so I can learn from a wider range of people. Does not mean I have to agree with your comments but it provides insight into how others could view the photo.

To the OP, I like the composition but it looks over processed to me. The clouds just dont look right to me and the color in the building just does not feel natural. Plus the whole street light, sign does stand out.

@The_Traveler
I just read a more detailed response you had about wanting the OP to give shot at creative criticism of their own work, much better explained then in this thread. Really, imo, is a separate subforum or meeting for it. I learned a lot from a similar group before realizing now that not everyone is ready for that level or can express themselves to that level.

I like where you're going as far making the building your subject but the other parts of the image are distracting. Maybe from another angle and a wider shot of the building would look good as well.

As far as i know Traveller is a gentleman giving good feedbacks..."What you want me to look at?" is a frequently asked question in photoforums....from experience, i know that is not asked in an acrid or sarcastic sense. (If he had a bad implication in asking, so he would never have come back asking why OP did not respond to him); but at the same time for those who are not used to this, that may taste bad too..... so let us melt the iceberg of misunderstanding in the light of goodwill

You can understand a thing only in one way-as it is; but you can misunderstand a statement in a million ways-as it is not

Regards
:D

Before the modern era of auto-focus, auto-exposure and digital sensors, there was an enormous technology obstacle before one could even be certain of getting an acceptable image. This obstacle was sometimes good in that it made each exposure so important that people took time to make each exposure count.
Now that modern technology has deleted 95% of the obstacles and made anyone with a working eye and finger into a photographer and virtually assures reasonably exposed and focused images, new photographers don't have the burden of time forced on them that allowed them to learn the importance of framing and composition.

I have no idea what the OP saw as interesting and was trying to make us see.
I wasn't asking for any exorbitant self-critique but merely for the basic idea that he (or she) had to have when he/she pressed the button.
From there we could talk about including and excluding, framing, composition - thus making any shot into a learning experience.

Am I either being condescending or asking too much? I don't think so.
I know I know more than the photographer does about this and I think my way is better as a learning tool.
Telling him/her about color or exposure incidentals won't affect his development because the camera is doing all the hard work now; he or she first needs to learn that the most important thing a photographer does is to decide what to include in the frame and what not to.

How to do it well comes later.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back