C&C Rose

chall33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i took a pic of this rose on my couch and i messed around with the saturation but nothing else really. i definitely feel like something is off, maybe too much saturation? or composition? there's probably a whole list of things that could be fixed (im a beginner so i know all my pics will be off for a while haha). i tried to take into consideration some of the other critiques ive been given such as composition being a lil too centered. anyways...bring me your knowledge! :lol:

DSC_0530.jpg

it doesn't look very sharp. did you use a tripod?

no, i just tried to stay still haha...guess that didn't work out too well.

I´m looking at the picture...asking myself "why?"

What I mean is, what is the point of this picture?...before I comment on its "technical" qualities. A picture doesn´t necessarily have to be sharp to be good. But an unsharp picture is RARELY good...therefore for such things use a tripod...you had time...the rose wasn´t going anywhere

Secondly, composition. There are rules and times to break them. Here I see no application of rules or cool results from breaking them.

Would you spend a lot of money making a fine quality print from this shot and hang it proudly on the wall, and expect accolades? I wouldn´t.

Ok...the point? If you are interested in truely fine photography you will need to spend a lot of time looking at truely fine photography and developing your affinity with it...your feeling for what works, and how your on perspective and creativity can be improved and expressed.

Photography is cool and lots of fun...but great results rarely come from fumbling around blindly in the dark...ask your girlfriend!

Do your homework...and get a bit of discipline into this phantasique medium
:p

I´m looking at the picture...asking myself "why?"

What I mean is, what is the point of this picture?...before I comment on its "technical" qualities. A picture doesn´t necessarily have to be sharp to be good. But an unsharp picture is RARELY good...therefore for such things use a tripod...you had time...the rose wasn´t going anywhere

Secondly, composition. There are rules and times to break them. Here I see no application of rules or cool results from breaking them.

Would you spend a lot of money making a fine quality print from this shot and hang it proudly on the wall, and expect accolades? I wouldn´t.

Ok...the point? If you are interested in truely fine photography you will need to spend a lot of time looking at truely fine photography and developing your affinity with it...your feeling for what works, and how your on perspective and creativity can be improved and expressed.

Photography is cool and lots of fun...but great results rarely come from fumbling around blindly in the dark...ask your girlfriend!

Do your homework...and get a bit of discipline into this phantasique medium
:p

uh ok...im a woman who is married so the girlfriend thing was confusing. hah

anyways, thanks for your advice. right now i am just learning to use my camera and i dont have a tripod. this is all just experimentation. perhaps my level of "photography" makes me inadequate to post here. i'll try to educate myself more and hopefully improve. maybe i should put the camera down and look at some real photography and read all the rules? is that what you mean?

Sorry, but I feel bad about deanimator's post. It was not only too harsh but didn't offer any suggestions on how to improve. And by posting here, you are doing your homework!!

The concept is pretty nice overall. Having the full flower in the shot might help, and the center part of the flower would still fall into "the rule of thirds" vertically. Perhaps a smoother surface would help draw the viewers eye to the flower. The depth of field is pretty good, helping to focus on the flower. Doing some editing in your favorite software is OK: try darking / blacking the areas to the left of the leaf, making it more dramatic (the light brown spots in the shadows).

And please keep posting!! Learning is what I believe this site is all about!! :)

thank you both:wink:...i felt somewhat discouraged and confused by the post. i had to double check to make sure that i had posted in the beginner's forum and not in a more advanced forum where i don't belong haha.

after this shot i actually moved the rose to a flat surface but the lighting was awful, at least thats what i thought. in regards to including the whole flower into the shot, that was something i had considered when taking the picture but i think i took the whole "dont center everything" too far which resulted in the awkward position so i'll definitely try to find that happy medium. i've read about the rule of thirds but im still trying to comprehend it correctly. i plan to do more "studying" on that. so for now, as suggested by many, i am experimenting with my new camera and as my signature says im still very much a work in progress. heh.

You are always welcome here! I know you must've felt discouraged, but don't let it stop you from posting because you will definitely learn a lot around here!

Keep on keepin' on! :D

i asked about the tripod as the shot was taken at 1/25 of sec. Hand holding at low shutter speeds and keeping things sharp is not easy to do, a tripod, or placing the camera on something solid would help.
It was a good thing to have the background dark as you did as it helps bring the flower forward.

there is nothing wrong with experimenting and failing, that is how we learn. Keep track of what your doing and keep working.

i think the photo would have been much better if sharper. It would have drawn our eye to the flower. Is the whole image the greatest thing since sliced bread? Probably not, but we all have to start somewhere and doing technical exercise is a good way to learn.

Just that you thought to try it out is a good thing. Set it up again and take LOTS of shots, different angles, different focal lengths, that sort of thing.

gbug-thanks again, i definitely won't stop...it may take me awhile but i'm sure i'll get there eventually

ann- thank you for your critique. the rose has wilted yet so i'll hopefully be able to experiment more today!

on several occassion i have taken a photo of the same flower (S) every day until they were long gone. It can be an interesting adventure, and sometimes very surprising.

Hey...keep cool.
I admit I was a bit on the hard side...but it was not meant to discourage anyone. We all know it´s easy to pick up a camera and push the button...but I think you will also want to learn what it´s about and to get better...just as you would with anything else.
No-one will be instantly "great"...so if you enjoy this, there are many interesting and helpful things to learn.

Too often people will praise things without giving constructive criticism. I found it immensely helpful when I was a young beginner to have people point out what worked and what didn´t...to be directed again and again to the masters who I still learn from.

Definitely keep at it, and keep learning.

Most reactions

Back