C&C Welcome!!!

Artograph

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is this crap? Good...? Bad? Boring???

This is an old stone abandoned house in Eastern Ontario.

Abandonedstonehouse.jpg

(This is also in the "Theme" forum....under "Abandoned Places", hope it's OK to post it here as well!??)

Last edited:
:( *sniffle* ...No one??

I'd like to know if it's any good....and why or why not!? Thanks! ;-)

It would be better if we could see more of the house. Something you might want to consider is moving in and taking some detailed photos (close ups). A lesson I learned years ago is if you put a b&w photo next to a color photo, people will walk past the b&w photo to look at the color photo. If your going to do b&w you have to do it well to make people stop and look. That would be composition, exposure, subject, cropping etc..... Look for the picture in the picture. That maybe something like the window or the crumbling chimney.

It would be better if we could see more of the house. Something you might want to consider is moving in and taking some detailed photos (close ups). A lesson I learned years ago is if you put a b&w photo next to a color photo, people will walk past the b&w photo to look at the color photo. If your going to do b&w you have to do it well to make people stop and look. That would be composition, exposure, subject, cropping etc..... Look for the picture in the picture. That maybe something like the window or the crumbling chimney.

Thank you very much!! I appreciate the feedback! :hug::

This photo is a bit on the bright side. It could do with deeper contrasts. The point of view and overall composition is not bad, facing the house from a seemingly "crouching in the field" position, and looking at one of its corners. The inclusion of the pole was deliberate, I suppose, to show that they no longer get any electricity?

Stogie: Thank you, I appreciate the feedback! :)

This photo is a bit on the bright side. It could do with deeper contrasts. The point of view and overall composition is not bad, facing the house from a seemingly "crouching in the field" position, and looking at one of its corners. The inclusion of the pole was deliberate, I suppose, to show that they no longer get any electricity?

Yeah... :blushing: The only software I have at this point is the one that came with my Kodak Easy Share...shhhh!!! I've noticed that I have a somewhat limited range (in both B&W and colour--though colour seems to be a bit easyer to wok with!) to work with! ;)

The pole, well, I didn't like it at first...but when I tried to crop it out, the crop felt too tight. (Can't edit it out, as my software doesn't 'do' that!! LOL!!) Sooo, yes, exactly...it's there to show that the house was once a thriving home...and now sits empty! :D ...So glad you picked up on that!! :greenpbl:

Thanks again!

Last edited:
It looks a little washed out to me..I'm thinking how this would look in colour,may work better but that is a personal preference.
I like the composition:)

To me the right side of the shot (the sky) and most of the roof seem too blown out for me. As someone previously mentioned, adjusting the exposure to darken those up might help it out.

As far as the composition is concerned, from what I can see, that window and the details above it (brick work) look very interesting. Would be worth a few snaps to see what you can do with that.

Thanks for the comments and critiques guys!! ...I appreciate them! :O)

It's hard for me to really see this small; I think I might really like it large. I like the sweep of the grass in the foreground. I think the power line pole is a bit distracting and could be cropped.

It's hard for me to really see this small; I think I might really like it large. I like the sweep of the grass in the foreground. I think the power line pole is a bit distracting and could be cropped.

Eek!!! It was larger when I posted it...?? What the heck!? :confused:

It was larger when I last looked, indeed! :shock: It shrunk??? How so?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back