Status
Not open for further replies.

amolitor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$CSC_0954.JPG

Kind of an odd composition. The two towers are crowding the edges of the shot, and the field and fence take up a TON of the space, as does the rather simple sky. There's really not much in the picture that holds the eye. It feels flat, and boring. It's certainly "different". I keep going back to the edges of the towers, and the way they pull my eye out of the frame. Overall this is kind of a big, black hole.

What he said. ^
I think you might want to read a bit on composition. Start with the rule of thirds. No worried you will never stop learning, I know I don't.

What he said. ^
I think you might want to read a bit on composition. Start with the rule of thirds. No worried you will never stop learning, I know I don't.

Funny you say that...he wrote a book on composition.

Amolitor is just playing with us. This picture is not of "wow" category. It is a compositional experiment, however I don't know if not we are the subjects of this experiment. :D

Thanks, folks. This is about balance, and also I thought the towers looked interesting. It's not wow, but I like it tolerably well.

Looking at it now, I guess it would come across very weird to some, since the thing in the middle definitely isn't anything interesting. All the interesting is around the edges, and even that stuff isn't all THAT.

When I shot this, I was entirely about balancing the two towers and the vertical fence element in the foreground. Everything else just fell where it fell. If i could have been ten feet taller, or moved some of the buildings around, I would have, but my train was coming and that's a secure facility, so I didn't have time to push buildings around. I'm moderately pleased with it, still, but it's certainly an example of the compromises that occur, how there isn't always a picture to be had anyways, and how we get tunnel vision getting specific things in the frame the way we want without necessarily paying as much attention as we ought to the rest of the frame.

I am on the "fence' about whether this is a keeper, whatever that even means. I really doubt I'll ever print it.

What he said. ^

lol.. Amolitor wrote a book on composition! ;) Look in his sig!

I see no balance! Pretty much agree with everything Derrel said!

For me, the balance really isn't there. The two towers are the same, but the relative sizes in the photograph make them not actually generate balance. So not left/right nor top/bottom either for me.

Trying something:

$CSC_0954 - Version 2.jpg

I'm certainly not going to argue with anyone else's take on it! One of my fundamental beliefs about composition is if the lay person can't feel it, it's not there, at least not for that lay person, and no amount of "explaining" is going to produce it. My remarks were entirely about how *I* see it, not how you should see it.

I'm certainly not going to argue with anyone else's take on it! One of my fundamental beliefs about composition is if the lay person can't feel it, it's not there, at least not for that lay person, and no amount of "explaining" is going to produce it. My remarks were entirely about how *I* see it, not how you should see it.

I'm uncertain how to take this comment. It sounds a lot like you are dismissing the comments because they came from "lay people" who aren't capable of understanding what you were going for, despite them knowing from a "gut reaction level" that the photo doesn't work. Is that what you are saying?

Funny.. I would consider you a "lay" person... since to my knowledge, you have never been a professional photographer? Whereas, Derrel and I have been / are... not sure about the others!

I'm uncertain how to take this comment. It sounds a lot like you are dismissing the comments because they came from "lay people" who aren't capable of understanding what you were going for, despite them knowing from a "gut reaction level" that the photo doesn't work. Is that what you are saying?

Certainly not, quite the opposite. The lay person's opinion is the only one that matters. If it takes some sort of Art Expert to "get it" or it requires some long explanation from the artist to make sense of it, the work's no good. It's relative, to an extent. Ultimately, if I like it, I'm ok with that. One can, and I have, argued that work isn't successful unless, as a general rule, lots of laymen can "get it" to some reasonable degree without much struggle. That doesn't prevent me from taking pictures for myself, though. There's a dichotomy here, and I'm ok with that too.

But honestly: "if the lay person can't feel it, it's not there" <-- I have to say, I am puzzled as to how this could possibly have been so completely misconstrued. It seems crystal clear to me.

Charlie, I know you hate me, so why on earth would I pay attention to anything you say? There's nothing that comes out of your mouth aimed at me that's honest commentary, it's all venomous bile. It's a free country, and your bile doesn't actually hurt me, but neither I nor anyone non-partisan is going to pay the slightest attention to you. On subjects where you are not ruled by your emotions, sure, you have things to contribute. When I'm involved, though, you simply don't, and everyone who is interested enough to pay attention to this disgusting little personal situation knows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back