What's new

C+C Wide Angle B&W Architectural

fjrabon

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 3, 2011
Messages
3,644
Reaction score
757
Location
Atlanta, GA, USA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

DSC_0009 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

Nikon D3100; Sigma 10-20mm; 20mm; ISO 800; f/5.6; 1/80; polarizing filter

Was going for the sort of expansive isolated feel. One of the busier surface streets in metro atlanta (howell mill) just happen to get lucky with traffic and this was really early in the AM. was sort of experimenting with the polarizing filter to bring out some more details in the clouds for the ominous rolling look. This sort of caused the center portion of the clouds to get blown out compared to the rest, but I actually sort of liked the look. Added some contrast and a bit of sharpening in aperture then did a straight monochrome conversion.


DSC_0038 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

Nikon D3100; Sigma 10-20mm; 11mm; ISO800; f/14; 1/60; polarizing filter

Here I was going for the exaggerated verticals to heighten the feeling that Gothic style churches naturally give.

Been only sort of in the game recently due to a lot of personal stuff and work stuff. Really rededicating to getting back into it. man, I forgot a lot of stuff and got out of a lot of good habits. Though I sort of feel like I have a better idea what I am looking for now than when I first got into it.
 
Very nice. One question. Why use ISO 800? Couldn't you have used a longer shutter speed in place of it? Seems that would cause less noise. I ask because I use a D3100 also and am planning on shooting some buildings in the next few days.
 
I love buildings. No cool ones near here to shoot.

I like pic two. Seems tilted a bit to me...or it's an illusion, can't tell. Seems kinda on the blue side too. and the brightness on the left bugs me. Cool shot and building though.
 
Looks like it was just an illusion. looks fine to me on the grid. lol.

I am liking this, I wanna play more with it when I have more time. Here's what I did real quick...fun image to practice with. Thanks for sharing.


$7331068118_411f75e6e3_b-2.webp
 
yeah, the blue has to be something other than the image, because it's pure monochrome.
 
Very nice. One question. Why use ISO 800? Couldn't you have used a longer shutter speed in place of it? Seems that would cause less noise. I ask because I use a D3100 also and am planning on shooting some buildings in the next few days.

I was shooting handheld and dropping down to ISO400 softened things up more than I liked, because of the longer shutter speeds. Probably should have just sucked it up and pulled out a tripod. Both of these were in fairly low light situations, first is right before sunrise and the whole sky was heavily overcast. The second picture, most of the church was in heavy shadow (it was a trick to get the sky to come out as anything other than pure whited out).
 
yeah, the blue has to be something other than the image, because it's pure monochrome.

Whatcha mean "pure monochrome" I too have a 3100 and if you are talking about the "monochrome" setting in the menu....can't trust that as "pure" use the raw file and convert to B&W, blue will go bye bye. ;-)
 
That's exactly what I did. Shot in RAW, converted to monochrome in post. any blue tint (which I dont really see) is either your monitor, something that flickr added or something TPF somehow added.

yeah, the blue has to be something other than the image, because it's pure monochrome.

Whatcha mean "pure monochrome" I too have a 3100 and if you are talking about the "monochrome" setting in the menu....can't trust that as "pure" use the raw file and convert to B&W, blue will go bye bye. ;-)
 
eh...maybe its just me or my crap laptop then. ;-)
 
eh...maybe its just me or my crap laptop then. ;-)

ha, no worries. I just realized my reply came off harsher than I intended. I once realized that all my prints were coming off slightly warmer than I wanted because my overhead light above my desk had a blue tint to it. So when I was adjusting white balance by eye, even though I had a calibrated monitor, I warmed them up too much, because I was compensating for the blue overhead light without realizing it.

Though having pictures very slightly too warm isn't the worst problem int he world.
 
my E-feelings weren't hurt, lol...it's all good. ;-)
 
trolling for more criticism :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom