An Introduction to Neutral Density Filters and Why You Need Them for Landscapes

Here's some examples of the holder/CPL on my Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 (on the D7000, so a crop sensor. Multiply the mm by 1.5 for the FX equiv.)--there were questions about it, so I'll post a few examples. The top right and left in the original has slight bit of black edge from the umbrella... whoops.

Nothing @11mm:

CPL @ 11mm:

CPL @ 12mm:

CPL @ 13mm:

CPL and Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters @11mm:

CPL and Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters @12mm:

CPL and Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters @13mm:

CPL and Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters @14mm:

CPL and Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters @15mm:

CPL and Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters @16mm:

CPL and Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters twisted 45 degrees @11mm:

CPL and Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters twisted 45 degrees @12mm:

CPL and Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters twisted 45 degrees @13mm:

CPL and Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters twisted 45 degrees @14mm:

CPL and Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters twisted 45 degrees @15mm:

CPL and Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters twisted 45 degrees @16mm:

Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters @11mm:

Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters twisted 45 degrees @11mm:

Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters twisted 45 degrees @12mm:

Lee Wide Angle Adapter with filter holder setup to hold 3 filters twisted 45 degrees @13mm:

Hope that helps somebody!

Cheers!
Jake

Last edited:
And here's pictures of the filters I have and use. Excuse the hand.. haha.

2 Stop Reverse Graduated Neutral Density, Hard Edged, Hitech:

Lee 1 stop Soft Edged Graduated Neutral Density:

Lee 2 Stop Soft Edged Graduated Neutral Density:

Lee 3 Stop Soft Edged Graduated Neutral Density:

Lee Big Stopper (10 stops):

Lee Little Stopper (6 stops):

Cheers!
Jake

Pretty good exposition, Jake. What you're showing here is that if someone has questions about their setup, they should test it and see what they actually get. I know that with my own setup (1.6x crop factor, 10mm lens) I see vignetting with a CPL filter (regular mount, not thin mount), and certainly if I stack the filters. However, with a B&D 3.0 (10 stop) filter used alone, I get minimal vignetting at 10mm. I generally don't use the CPL filter with the wide-angle as it results in bands of extinction due to the extreme angle of view, that is not usually very appealing visually.

Pretty good exposition, Jake. What you're showing here is that if someone has questions about their setup, they should test it and see what they actually get. I know that with my own setup (1.6x crop factor, 10mm lens) I see vignetting with a CPL filter (regular mount, not thin mount), and certainly if I stack the filters. However, with a B&D 3.0 (10 stop) filter used alone, I get minimal vignetting at 10mm. I generally don't use the CPL filter with the wide-angle as it results in bands of extinction due to the extreme angle of view, that is not usually very appealing visually.

Glad you like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back