Cades Cove Grist Mill

from a composition point of view it seems to tight. Wider may have been better.

Processing, I see to much green in the image and its over powering. I would love to see more of that wood color pushed and see more texture on the wood as well. I would personally add some
warmth into this image. I think the blacks maybe a little bit to black, that wheel has loss of detail.

There isnt really a highlight in the image but you have blown the details in the brightest part bottom middle. At the same time there is much shadows and its all filled in. This isnt an HDR image at all. Would you mind posting those 3 images you used?

There isnt really a highlight in the image but you have blown the details in the brightest part bottom middle. At the same time there is much shadows and its all filled in. This isnt an HDR image at all. Would you mind posting those 3 images you used?

Sure, here you go;

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

I couldnt do much better than what you finally supplied. When you have to line up your images, doing hand held is just not worth it. Nice location, nice camera, nice intention, bad procedure.

I still think with those exposures you are missing detail in the dark areas. I think you needed more exposures.

Handheld are not hard to align if you have a fast camera and a steady hand. Photomatix does a great job doing that process. However in this case your last image is not a worth using as it is blurry.

If this were shot properly the small highlight splash spot wouldnt be totally blown out. At the same time all the dark areas in the wheel would have some detail as well as the window. The tricky part of this is that to shoot that much the wheel is always turning, so hopefully, there is no wind to move the trees and bushes and you have only the wheel to contend with for ghosting. In your second shot the out of focus beam doesnt help the image a bit. If you post a more positive image, I promise to say something more positive.

Definitely needed at least another over exposure to get more of the detail in the dark shadows and possibly another, -2 exposure to keep from blowing out the water splash.

Here is your image run through Highlight Shadows in Photoshop. There is actually boards in the window and you can see as well the details on the inside of the waterwheel. The out of focus rail is the only bad feature of this.

316xhs1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back