Calibrating an LCD monitor?

John Williams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure if this is the best place for this question but... does anyone know of a good way to calibrate an LCD monitor?

I've tried a few of the pages that come up when searching google for this subject but it always seems to be too dark and intense by the end. I've heard you cant calibrate LCD screens using the normal calibrating methods for other screens, so I'm turning to you guys to let me know how you did it or any suggestions you can give me?

well, depending on the screen it can be more or less well calibrated... but in any case it can be profiled.

There are various hardware approaches (Sypder, and others... )which work nicely and create a screen profile, which is then used by the screen driver to display colours more or less correctly.

To do it properly, you really need a hardware calibration device like the Spyder. Even then, I've found that LCDs aren't ideal for accuracy.

you can't just do it off a webpage. You need a hardware/software combo to get accurate colours. Even then...if it's not a good monitor for colour accuracy, then you're not gonna get the best colours out of it.

Agreed, hardware calibration is the best, and good ole CRT's are more accurate.

BTW - Sometimes people have Adobe Gamma installed (check control panel if you have PhotoShop) and have never run it. It is not a full blown calibration tool but if it is running in the background it should be executed and setup.

-Shea

Agreed, hardware calibration is the best, and good ole CRT's are more accurate.

BTW - Sometimes people have Adobe Gamma installed (check control panel if you have PhotoShop) and have never run it. It is not a full blown calibration tool but if it is running in the background it should be executed and setup.

-Shea

Not all CRTs are more accurate.
Also, it takes an hour for a CRT to warm up to the proper colour temperature.
ALSO...as they age, they get really bad. They don't last long at all.

If you get an accurate LCD, you'll be much happier. You have to know what panels to look for though.

actually, today you can get LCDs which can be calibrated extremely well. they are just not ceap though.way more expensive than CRTs

actually, today you can get LCDs which can be calibrated extremely well. they are just not ceap though.way more expensive than CRTs

When they were making my LCD with the LG panel, they were so close to being calibrated out of the box, a lot of places didn't bother calibrating them all.
There are some crappy ones though that are totally off.
You get some panels that're not TOO expensive once in a while that are perfect...but sometimes you pay lots and get junk. It's all about the application it was designed for. Home theater style displays are very "coloured".

When they were making my LCD with the LG panel, they were so close to being calibrated out of the box, a lot of places didn't bother calibrating them all.
There are some crappy ones though that are totally off.
You get some panels that're not TOO expensive once in a while that are perfect...but sometimes you pay lots and get junk. It's all about the application it was designed for. Home theater style displays are very "coloured".

I agree that some are oversaturated and overcontrasty.

I payed way too much for my screen, but it is extremely good as well, gives me all the sublte colour differences and it is better than any CRT I ever owned. it can be calibrated to match the print close to perfectly.

Not all CRTs are more accurate.
Also, it takes an hour for a CRT to warm up to the proper colour temperature.
ALSO...as they age, they get really bad. They don't last long at all.

If you get an accurate LCD, you'll be much happier. You have to know what panels to look for though.

If you get an accurate LCD you won't be able to afford camera upgrades ;). CRTs are still significantly cheaper to get good colour out of, and in all honesty the colour temperature drifts very little.

Another problem with LCDs is that the rule of crank the contrast up all the way and adjust the brightness does not apply. This is what a lot of websites say to do, and works well for CRTs, well enough to not being able to justify hardware calibrators if you're good at it.

If you get an accurate LCD you won't be able to afford camera upgrades ;).

Well, that is why I said I spent too much money on it ;) ... Certainly a good camera body + L-lens ;)

however, working on an LCD is very relaxing for my eyes, much better than any CRT. Also it takes much less space on the desk and I hate the bulky appearance of large CRTs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back