California Locations

Allen459

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am from the Los Angeles region and have found that i am not very creative when finding new exciting places to go and photograph. Does anyone have a few good ideas of places to go out and shoot? I heard pioneertown is pretty cool. Other than that, i only know of the bigger spots in downtown la...like union station, little tokyo, olvera st...etc. Does anyone have any other interesting places to shoot?

List what your interested in photographing maybe that will be more helpful to you.

Go into the mountains, public parks, the Valley...

It's not really about finding an interesting place, but rather about finding a new place and then drawing inspiration, since good photos can be taken of anything, anywhere - it is up to us to merely find the right angle at the right time to aim the camera (since anyone can press a shutter).

The beaches in California during the sunset are definitely good places to photograph. I live near LA, and I know that in terms of landscapes, Southern California can be dry (metaphorically and literally). To get really beautiful landscapes, you're going to have to do a lot of driving and a lot of hiking. They don't come easily around here.

If you like nature shots, head for the Santa Monica mountains, then drive up to Santa Barbara, then head to Hearst Castle, Monterrey and Carmel, Santa Cruz. Get to San Francisco and take pictures in the presidio, the Golden Gate.

Head over to the hills of Berkeley, take pictures of The Bay. Cross over to Marin and head on to wine country in Sonoma and Napa, keep going north towards Fort Bragg, without forgetting of course to go through the Muir Woods, and then make it all the way to Willits and the redwoods. You'll probably need a fast lens there, as it is always dark.

By the time you're on your way back Yosemite may be open (the east side), but if it isn't take some time off at Lake Tahoe and the sierras. Finally, you can go through the desert as you come back.

Damn, I really miss California.

I am from the Los Angeles region and have found that i am not very creative when finding new exciting places to go and photograph. Does anyone have a few good ideas of places to go out and shoot? I heard pioneertown is pretty cool. Other than that, i only know of the bigger spots in downtown la...like union station, little tokyo, olvera st...etc. Does anyone have any other interesting places to shoot?

You're living in the land of locations- Urban, rural, beach, mountains, desert, ... etc & more etc.

This;
List what your interested in photographing maybe that will be more helpful to you.

Pioneer town is ok, almost overly cute. I'd go the extra few miles and visit Joshua Tree National Park if you're into the desert thing.

If you like the ocean, pick a beach. I'm fond of everything south of Newport to the border.

There's mountains all over. Just about any part of the Angeles National Forest is a good place to start. Explore. What do you like?

It sounds to me as though you are in need of a camera club.

Creativity is a talent but it needs to be trained and a good place to do that is with other people who are engaged in the same type of training.

Architecture is a great thing to shoot in LA. Especially in the older parts. If I remember right there is a real nice bridge in the Pasadena area I think it is Colorado Blvd and, you can drive down below it when you get into Eagle Rock . But I havent been there for years so Im not sure my memory is correct on that. Also there is the coast highway drive north plenty to shoot on that run. The there is the run on the coast road to San Pedro on the Palisades. Just a few locally for you to consider.

Thanks for your guys input on the locations. I think the best idea is to possibly join a small group and go out and shoot. There are so many cool things out here but thinking about the shots and actually getting in the car to go out and take the shots is another.

Most reactions

Back