Call me crazy....

JamesD

Between darkrooms
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm a film nut, and there's no denying that. Here's the proof:

I've decided to design and build--from scratch, not from an existing design or kit--my own 4X5 monorail view camera, and I've actually arranged to start on it, perhaps this weekend, or perhaps the next, depending on how the planning goes. The arts & crafts center here has a wood shop, and one of the technicians is actually a photographer (and a fellow film nut: she owns an enlarger!) as well, with some experience using view cameras. I told her what I was planning, and after she picked up her jaw, she got moderately excited about the project, and promised to help me out as much as she could.

I've been researching online, and I've come across a couple of designs I think I'll borrow from. The plan is to incorporate all the standard view camera movements, and also construct two or three, or maybe four, backs, permitting 4 to 6 (or 8) exposures before having to reload. Then, of course, a back for the ground glass as well. Since I'll be putting all this effort into it, I'll have to make a padded case for it, too.

There're a bunch of reasons why I've embarked on this project. For one, it'll be a lot cheaper than buying a "real" one. For another, I've discovered in the process of working with 4X5 pinhole photography that the extra effort that goes into producing an image (as opposed to 35mm format's zoom-autofocus-click) forces me to make better images. And, I like working with paper negatives. And I like the benefits of using sheet film. And I've been constructing and/or improvising a lot of photography and darkroom accessories lately, and this is sort of an "ultimate project." And it'll improve my woodworking skills. And, I think it'll be pretty freaking cool.

So, what do y'all think, am I crazy?

Sounds exciting to me. Someday I would like to build my own 4x5 or 5x7 field camera from wood and brass.

I have a friend who frankensteined 4 or 5 old cameras into one 6x17 roll film camera that actually works and takes fantastic photographs.

I think it'll be pretty freakin' cool, too! :thumbup:

I'm excited for ya - as time permits, could you show us the work in progress, every now and then?? That would be fun! :)

I'll be sure to take a few photographs each time I go in to work on it. Plus, some of the work will be done around the house, such as the bellows, maybe the darkslides, and perhaps some of the final assembly.

I only have one lens right now, an ancient Kodak of London 150mm job with I forget which shutter. It's in pretty good condition, and I'm planning to use it until I can get some more modern optics. But, anyway, I'll be sure to take some pictures with it, too, and post 'em up.

Might be a while, though.

That's very ambitious! I'm thinking of getting one of the new Bulldog 4x5 camera kits, since all you have to do (and this sounds a lot more straightforward than it probably is) is to push out the pre-cut MDF panels and glue them together. In theory even I could manage that, and it's only £150.

Can someone explain how you use the range of movement on this kind of camera? As I understand it you can move the bellows up and down or left/right, but I can't think what this would achieve.

ThomThomsk said:
As I understand it you can move the bellows up and down or left/right, but I can't think what this would achieve.

It's not so much the bellows as being able to move the lens plane and film plane.

Common uses are to make converging lines parallel, and to move the plane of focus or DOF around.

EDIT: If you've ever adjusted a slide or movie projector trying to get it to be square and level on the screen, it's sort of like that.

I am seriously looking to make an 8x10. As woodworking happens to be my next favorite hobby to photography. I am pretty busy until after Aug. So have not really started anything yet. Just some searching on the web.

I don't have the skills or tools to start from scratch, at least at this point in my life. But I'm always on the lookout for my dream fixer-uppers: a 5x7 field camera, a banquet camera, or a Graflex RB 4x5 SLR.

Has anyone checked out the "Hobo"? 4x5 and 8x10, fixed focus, hand holdable, but the best part to me is that it looks like I could make my own.

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Hobo/welcome.htm

That is one of the camera that caught my attention. I first saw a version on ebay for sale. At first I didn't think it was real. So I looked into it. But for $500 or so, a used 8x10 could be had on ebay. I really like the idea of an 8x10 p&s though. :)

ksmattfish said:
I don't have the skills or tools to start from scratch, at least at this point in my life. But I'm always on the lookout for my dream fixer-uppers: a 5x7 field camera, a banquet camera, or a Graflex RB 4x5 SLR.

Has anyone checked out the "Hobo"? 4x5 and 8x10, fixed focus, hand holdable, but the best part to me is that it looks like I could make my own.

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Hobo/welcome.htm
I read about this camera when I was nosing around that site for bromoil chems last year. :thumbup: It looks cool, and takes some great pictures, too.

An older photographer friend of mine told me that he once knew a guy who built what's arguably one of the world's largest pinhole cameras--out of a van. He tore out the back of the van and sealed up the doors and windows. He would put a gigantic piece of photo paper up against the bulkhead thingy, and from inside the van, he would uncover a hole in the rear door of the van, and huddle into a corner, watching the light hit the paper.

The 'Hoovercam' is most ingenious. Think I'll try a simple variation for 8x10 paper negatives using presswood construction and a surplus anastigmat of 13" or so fl. A simple stop of about 0.1" diameter [f128] should bring bright sun exposure times into the 15-20 second range while providing sufficient depth of field to eliminate focussing once the paper plane has been optically established.

Most reactions

Back