What's new

Called on a model today to get the cob webs out of camera

joealcantar

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
840
Reaction score
85
Location
Beaumont, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did a shoot today and finding out the softbox I'm using may be too small at times. What size softbox are you guys using with flash guns say SB800/900?
This is with an 18inch folding softbox with an SB800 or SB900
JVA_9127usmStrexpIPftw900.jpg

-
Shoot well, Joe
 
Last edited:
I used to use about a 30x20 (approx.) when I did studio work. Your model is beautiful and the image is beautiful as well but her pose seems just slightly unnatural. I think it's her hand and the way her back is arched over.
 
I used to use about a 30x20 (approx.) when I did studio work. Your model is beautiful and the image is beautiful as well but her pose seems just slightly unnatural. I think it's her hand and the way her back is arched over.
-
Thanks for the suggestions Reece, will see what is available around that size.
-
Thanks for looking and shoot well, Joe
 
Just wished you had a better background
 
You don't really want to go too large when using a flash in a softbox. It won't be very efficient and/or you won't get the increased softness over a smaller softbox. I think 18" sounds about right. If you need something softer, you might try bouncing out of an umbrella, possibly one with a diffusion panel on the front (something like a softlighter).

Usually, using flashes (instead of studio strobe units) is about portability and convenience. So a smaller softbox would also fit that criteria. If you are going to the trouble of hauling around a huge softbox, you might as well use a studio strobe as well.
 
The smallest I have is 28" (Wescott Apollo Softbox). I also have the 50". When I need the light to spread more I have a 60" umbrella. On location we are just using speedlights.
 
outdoor to shoot 1 model i use a 24X24 softbox and a couple more bare flash for rim and hair.

I finally got my speedlight mount for my beauty dish. i will test that out in a few days and will probably use it instaid of the softbox.
 
Joel, where was the softbox set up on this shot?
 
Good point Mike, I was using 400 watt studio lights if I remember correctly. I never tried using a flash with the box so I don't speak from experience but I imagine that you would not get enough light through it.
 
Joel, where was the softbox set up on this shot?
-
It was about 10 feet away so the light would spread, shot it near a reflection pool so water was in between her and the light. She wanted to change that so she got in the water. Really do not want to go too big but from the input looks like I may try out a 24 or 28 inch as suggested to see how that works. I have the softlighter II already and use that with the cheapy JTL's and it does wonders, but kind of a pain to carry around. Christina sent me a link to a dolly/handtruck setup someone is using so may have to look at that as well to keep things mobile.
-
JVA_9149usmcropcrvipftw900.jpg

-
Thanks for the input guys/gals and shoot well, Joe
 
If you could introduce me to your model I would be very appreciative :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom