camera bags

stumpjumper21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for a fairly large size shoulder strap bag. i have a d70 and i want it to be able to hold the camera and haev room for a few lenses and possibly a film camera. if it has a laptop slip great, if not whatever.

i saw a bag in the new shutterbug (i think) magazine and i dont remeber what it was.

thanks.

Not trying to be a smartass, but by using the Advanced Search (upper right of your screen - main menu bar) I hit 106 threads with using "bag" as a keyword for thread titles. I'm sure there will be some useful information for you within those.

most of those threads are about peoples wives.......

whats even funnier is that searching "bacon" will produce 156 threads... even more than camera bags....

this supports my long standing theory that bacon and photography have a closely intertwined relationship...

I'm sure there's probably a few references to having tea, but.........

/offtopic

I have two Lowepros... a slingshot and a top loader. Both are good. I do not care for shoulder bags personally, but many do.

Shoulder meaning one strap or two?

To be honest I bought a Canon bag for $30 that fits my big ass d90 w/ 80-200mm f/2.8 with lens hood attached, when a similar lowpre bag would have cost me upwards of $175-200. And it has room for more lenses and other goodies.

dEARlEADER - Cracking me up again :lmao:

BTW - I went to REI today trying to see if I could buy a backpack frame and hard mount my pelican 1500 to the thing! I also googled the concept and I'm not alone in my thinking, for a change.

Looked at a few Lowepro bags too... the flipper 300 (loosely translated) seemed like a good home, but I like oversize zippers and the build was not overkill enough for my preferences. I thought the prices were pretty good for the smaller units. One of the zippers seemed to 'heal' into a shiny water resistant strip of nano skin, or was it bacon?

Maybe I can DYI blogificate on my pelican mount, or at least get ripped a new one for any number of opportunities I have unfolded here.

Now to locate that bag thread and find the one. :hail:

-Shea

Got any super glue? :lol:

Sheas_pelican1550on-frame-Comp.jpg

i now plan i searching cheese! and see what i get lol.

i agree tho. the lowepro bags i like, but i am not spending that much. i like the dakine mission photo, but i want a little more room for expansion.

any ideas?

yeah. that is a nice looking bag, but i want something i can use for snowboarding and taking to my dirtjumps. i also want it to hold some extra stuff if possinle.

i like the dakine reload. but it has gotten some bad reviews

I have a Quantaray QBBXL (I THINK that is the correct model) and I LOVE IT!

"Pro - style" bag with lots of pockets, lots of storage, plenty of options to make adjustments to compartments and shoulder strap.

For me, holds 2x DSLR bodies and all the lenses and other stuff I ever need on a regular basis, all in one bag (except tripods and light bars, etc.).

$59.99 at Wolf Camera. Only place I have ever found it locally.

BUT - after reading, I THINK when you say "shoulder strap" bag you mean "backpack", which this one is NOT.

Almost all decent camera / gadget bags have shoulder straps.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

But this IS an awesome bag.

Last edited:
Yeah so I ended up pulling all the internal adjustable supports, and only needed one 'strut' to position a 40D with a 200mm lens. A small spot for my 50mm was easily partitioned and loading my monopod (externally) opposite the camera body provided a measure of safety and counter balance to my slightly shifted load.

I used the extra dividers to provide more padding wherever the camera bits touch the wall of the pouch.

When I first set out on my beach cruiser I thought the load was a bit much, after all I'm used to both shoulder straps spreading the load, and a slightly larger waist band on my Oakley backpack (vintage 1996).

I tried to get more load on the hips but with the narrow waist straps but this created pinch points. The way the adjustable part of the shoulder strap dug into my chest was and remains a concern, even with a thick cotton hoody on.

By the time I got back home I was a bit more acclimated to the pack, but I think I will have to strongly consider another solution with both straps.

EDIT: I really like the smallish size of the Tarmac Velocity 8, so I went back to REI and added a woman's hip belt, which stuffed with much effort into the strap stash pouch of the tarmac bag! This really puts the load on the hips where I want it. Of course I'm $115 bucks into by now, but it is a custom creature of my own creation and that is satisfying.

-Shea

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back