What's new

Travel Camera Bag Suggestions?

KJ_North

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Dec 20, 2011
Messages
2,211
Reaction score
2,557
Location
left the site
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Guys,
I am after advice on what any of you use to carry all of your Camera gear when travelling abroad. I am going on a cruise in June and basically decided I want to pretty much bring everything. So wondering what any of you use? I will also be carrying whatever I use onto the plane to keep with me at all times.

So the bag needs to hold the following

- Canon Mirrorless Camera
- Canon Rf200-800 lens
- Canon Rf24-105 lens
- Canon Rf50mm Lens
- Canon Rf1.4 Extender
- Normal accessories, 2 batteries + Charger, Extra Cards, etc.

Some have suggested something along the following Airport Essentials™

Just reaching out to see if anyone has a preference on what they use etc.
 
How much onshore, where, and for how long?
 
How much onshore, where, and for how long?
11 day cruise will be onshore at least 9 of those days. I will generally only take the 24-105 off the ship. The zoom will be used from the ship to maybe take some shots from the ocean etc. Cruise leaves from Monte Carlos and ends in Venice where we will stay an additional day.
MCM_SMR1_LIV_CVV_RRO_KOTO_DBV_HVA_KOPE_FUS.webp
 
I'd be tempted to reduce tonnage and stick to the short zoom and the 50. I'd leave the big zoom at home. You'd be surprised how many onshore shots are p&s range. Wides trump teles onshore in old cities IMHO. I like the Think Tank Retrospective series. Inconspicuous. Skip backpacks.
 
I could just bring my Rf100-400 much smaller lens and it fits in a compact bag and with the 1.4x I can get 560mm zoom.

I am going to be using a Peak Design Everyday Sling 3L bag as a walk around that I can throw the camera with the 24-105 lens attached so I dont have to carry the camera out all the time while walking around.

​

 
My Lowe Pro backpack bag would hold all that and a tripod strapped to the back. One of the best bags I’ve used. I can usually cramp a rain coat and lunch in as well.

Edit to add, the model is the Mini Trekker. Had it a long time and it still looks fairly new.
 
My Lowe Pro backpack bag would hold all that and a tripod strapped to the back. One of the best bags I’ve used. I can usually cramp a rain coat and lunch in as well.

Edit to add, the model is the Mini Trekker. Had it a long time and it still looks fairly new.
I appreciate the info
 
Here's my two cents...for what it's worth. When I go on a road trip I take two bags. One is a Shein (Chinese I believe) backpack made for photography, with all the pockets, zippers, nooks & crannies, adjustable velcro dividers etc. I really like this backpack/camera bag. It has served me well so far. The second bag is not a backpack, but rather a shoulder bag for other things I could not fit into the backpack like other lenses, filters, chargers, external battery pack for doing time lapses, cables, hand warmers, lens warmer, gloves, flash, and probably a few other things I haven't mentioned. If I were to travel by air then I would need to look into a 'checkable' non-carry on type case to replace the shoulder bag.
What you take with you depends much on what type of shots you plan on doing. When I travel I tend to make the most out of my trip and include different types of shots where one day I might be doing landscapes and wildlife, the next day some interior architecture shots, and maybe even some astro-photography. I tend to plan things where this can happen.

You are probably correct in thinking the long lens would not be used much onshore. The time you have onshore is usually somewhat limited, and the places you will visit will be packed with other tourists, residents, cars, buses, motorcycles etc. My sister, who has done a considerable amount of traveling to Europe over the years, says it is much better to see Rome in ten days versus seeing Italy in ten days.

I would like to go on a photography tour with an outfit like PhotoPills. If you are not familiar with PhotoPills it is a software program used by many photographers, in many cases, for astro-photography, but it has many other uses as well. They offer tours to great, and very scenic, places like Patagonia, the Italian Dolomites, African Safaris, and I'm sure other very photo-genic areas. I might go on one of these tours when I run across an extra $10K I don't need :lol:.

Camera gear bag.webp
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom