Camera Body Info

amandakifer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.amandakifer.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I'm a digital photography person with a Canon 5d and tons of ef lens (several prime and L series) I'm starting a photography program and the entry level class requires a film slr. I have never worked with film. So my question is this.... (I don't plan to become greatly active in film unless I really like it), what body should I consider? I have only canon ef lenses so I want to stick with the brand.

What are the benefits from a more expensive body and what would you recommend? I sort of feel like a fish out of water. I know once I get into film everything I know from digital will fall into place.

Thanks so much:)

A decent quality match, in my opinion, would be the EOS 5, or EOS 3. You´ll probably have to get them second hand however. About $300 will do for a EOS 5 body.
Canon make several lower models as well, but there´s nothing wrong with a EOS 50 for example.

I still keep my wifes old eos 630 for a film backup I couldnt sell it for enough to pay freight on it. They are cheap on ebay I think

while I know you have Canon lenses, you might want to ask if you're going to need any fancy lenses. If not, I would suggest a Pentax K1000, which can be had fairly cheap off of ebay, usually incuding a 50mm prime.

Maybe have a look at one of the ELAN bodies. They should match the feel of your 5D pretty well.

Personally, I would ask the instructor why you really need to have a film camera...unless the class involves film developing.

From what I've seen, there are still a bunch of old, cantankerous photographers/instructors who are afraid of digital and therefore say things like 'Film cameras only'. It's a bunch of B.S. if you ask me. I would be hesitant to take a class from someone like that.

It might just be that they haven't updated their class requirements and a digital SLR would be just fine. You would have to ask.

while I know you have Canon lenses, you might want to ask if you're going to need any fancy lenses. If not, I would suggest a Pentax K1000, which can be had fairly cheap off of ebay, usually incuding a 50mm prime.
Why would you jump to a whole different system for a class?. Just get an EOS body I agree with the 650 or something similar you can find them dirt cheap used.

Just an example from EBAY http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-EOS-A2E-E...QQihZ018QQcategoryZ107919QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd recommend an EOS Elan IIE. They average about $50-100 on eBay, depending on condition and accessories, and I've personally used one extensively and can attest to its ease of use, durability and quality. It's just a great camera.

Maybe have a look at one of the ELAN bodies. They should match the feel of your 5D pretty well.

Personally, I would ask the instructor why you really need to have a film camera...unless the class involves film developing.

From what I've seen, there are still a bunch of old, cantankerous photographers/instructors who are afraid of digital and therefore say things like 'Film cameras only'. It's a bunch of B.S. if you ask me. I would be hesitant to take a class from someone like that.

It might just be that they haven't updated their class requirements and a digital SLR would be just fine. You would have to ask.
Agreed. If your goal is to get a better understanding of aperture and shutter speeds, etc. then you're better off sticking with digital. I've done film for 25 years, and still enjoy it, but you shouldn't be forced to buy a film body and incur development costs - unless you want to learn to make prints from film. Nothing wrong with that, just know why you're doing it...

Buy whatever body will accept your lenses. It doesn't matter at all as long as it takes your lenses and operates properly.

Also consider taking a different class with a different instructor. Others above have stated the opinion I share. No point in learning with a dying technology if you don't intend to use it in the future. You can learn and study every single photographic technique with a digital except for film processing and experiencing how the different emusions behave and perform. Well, I suppose color management with film is a different animal than it is with digital but the concepts of color temperature and rendition are the same with both.

I agree with the folks that say buy a body that fits your lenses... make sure it runs full manual (I have no idea but I am assuming most Canon SLR bodies do... I am not a Canon SLR person).

Most reactions

Back