Camera body type?

CedarBranchNikon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In researching Nikons, someone posted for me there are Compact entry-level, Normal size entry level, and Prosumer grade bodies along with Pro-grade.
Due to a tight budget, how much difference is there in the compact and normal size bodies? Does the difference in size make a very big difference in the camera? It appears by a comparison chart the compact bodies are generally a less expensive camera with fewer "features" and "range" for lack of a better word. (Meaning how much more is the camera capable of and the range of shooting modes, white balance, color setting and adjustment)
Would this make a big difference in shooting "amateur" photography, although I would like to try toshoot some photos that could be possibly be submitted to some "regional" magazines for publication.

Your budget will tend to define which category of camera body type you will be buying. The big differences in "amateur" photographs comes from photographer knowledge and skill rather than what camera was used.

Nikon DSLR compacts range from the $530 including a kit lens D3000 - Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens

to the $650 - body only, or $750 including a kit lens D5100 - Nikon D5100 16.2MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens

You have 2 choices of normal size entry-level Nikon's and both are offered with or without a kit lens: Nikon D90 12.3MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 18-105 mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S VR DX Nikkor Zoom Lens

Nikon D7000 16.2MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR with 3.0-Inch LCD (Body Only)

The next step up is the Prosumer cameras.:

The Nikon D300s starts at about $1700 and the new D400 is about due ($2000?). The D700 is about $2350. The D800 is shipping yet but it retails for $3000.

Top-of-the-line is the pro grade cameras, the newest being the $6000 D4.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My budget says "Used". Keep searching Ebay and the camera stores that sell on Ebay. Have been working part-time as a substitute teacher so hope to use that money to buy a camera body and not dent the budget. "Cut my teeth" on a Yashica Electro 35 before moving to a 35 SLR. Worked as a professional portrait photographer many years ago but realized my experience and knowledge made for a more stable income. Interesting some of your links, new 7000, $1299, USED 7000, $1399??? People need to learn, once you drive it off the lot, the value goes WAY DOWN!

People need to learn, once you drive it off the lot, the value goes WAY DOWN!
LOL, yes - people do need to learn. I see old cameras for sale at what they retailed at years ago all the time.

If you're shopping used, check out KEH.com. Don't let the "BGN" rated stuff scare you off - you'll be surprised how good the condition is.

edit
Just checked, and it appears that they don't have a very big selection of used digital Nikon stuff right now...

Their inventory changes periodically though, so it might be worth it to check back every week or so.

Ebay is a great source for used gear, the d5000 (compact version of the d90) is selling for peanuts these days.

how much difference is there in the compact and normal size bodies? Does the difference in size make a very big difference in the camera? It appears by a comparison chart the compact bodies are generally a less expensive camera with fewer "features" and "range" for lack of a better word. (Meaning how much more is the camera capable of and the range of shooting modes, white balance, color setting and adjustment) Would this make a big difference in shooting "amateur" photography, although I would like to try toshoot some photos that could be possibly be submitted to some "regional" magazines for publication.

The size doesn't make the difference (IMHO), but the features might, depending on if you use them. Entry level cameras have slower FPS, less external buttons to control camera settings. Don't have advanced things like user memories, auto bracketing or ability to control external flash units from the built-in flash unit. [Or a 39-point autofocus sensor array. <grin>] But if you don't use this stuff (or are able to spend a couple of seconds diving through the menus to change the settings) these cameras can still take amazing pictures.

As for submitting pictures for publication, I believe (IMHO - again) that you could get good quality pictures (although you might have to fiddle with the camera just a bit more) with even an entry level camera, if you know how to really control it and know your camera. [And depending on what your and the publications expectations are.] But if your intention is this, then maybe get a little more than an entry level camera . . . <grin>

The Nikon D5000 is going for a good price used, as someone was pointing out.

But the other thing to note is that the Nikon D5000 doesn't have the built-in autofocus motor. If you get a Nikon with the built-in autofocus motor, you might be able to save money on buying used lenses. Instead of paying $300 for a 50mm f1.8. you can get the one without the motor for about half that. Same with a 70-300mm lens, etc. And if you need a cheap zoom, you can look at a 28-200mm or something. So, although a Nikon D90 might be a bit more upfront, it might allow you to grow your lens collection a bit faster at a lesser cost. [Although you will always have to get a Nikon with a built-in focus motor from there on in. But your upgrade path looks good with the Nikon D7000.]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back