Camera Buying Advice

sakorarox07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

Im a very much beginner at photogrpahy, just doing it for the fun of it, and hoping to make it a hobby. I'd like a camera that can do "general everyday pics" like bday pics or when on a trip etc... but what I want an SLR for is for "macro photography" like food and floral, etc....

SO.... there are SO many options I found,but I dont know which to go for...any advice?

Best Buy: XSi - 1 lense and bag
Cameras & Camcorders: Digital Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel XSi 12.2MP Digital SLR Camera With 18-55mm IS Lens And Accessory Kit | Best Buy Canada Web Store

Future shop:
Future Shop: Cameras & Camcorders: Digital SLR: Canon XS 10.1MP DSLR With 18-55mm IS Lens, Case & 6" Tripod - Silver - Web Only

Costco: in store this one should be about $730) **there MAY be a $100 off deal in a month...MAYBE

Costco - Canon® EOS Rebel XS 10.1 MP Digital Camera Kit with Bag and IS Zoom Lenses

Which is the better deal for what I want to do? Im thinking maybe the costco one? But I'm not sure since it adds up costing more so.... yah

appreciate any and all help !:D

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

An SLR type digital camera is certainly a better choice than 99.9% of non-SLR type digital cameras...but one thing to consider is that most P&S digi-cams are pretty good at macro photography, right out of the box...while you may need a specific lens or accessories to get the same closeness with an SLR camera.

As for those two cameras, the XSi is the better model...the XS is just the lowest priced model, made to be inexpensive. However, either one will do what you want...but the lens that you get will make a bigger difference in what you shoot and how you do it.

well the costco gives you the kit lens that comes with the camera along with a decent zoom in the EF-S 55-250 which also has image stabalization (IS). That will certainly cover the generalist use of the camera.
edit - didn't notice that it was an XS - I agree with BigMike avoid this camera.

For macro work though you really want a dedicated macro lens - now this can cost around as much as the camera and kit lens alone - and if its your primary interest then it might be best to forgo on the deals and get the camera, kit lens and a proper macro lens. Now if your into using the macro for insects at all then you idealy want a macro lens with a focal length of at least 90mm and longer is generally better. If your going to stick to stationary subjects then you don't have to go for the longer focal lengths since you don't need to put distance between you and the subject ( that food is not going to run away from you ;))

2nd EDIT - found a thread which might be of interest to you about macro lenses on offer for a canon DSLR
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nature-wildlife/150294-macro-lens-recommendation.html

thanks for the advice....regarding getting the XS body.....I had heard that its best to not put a lot of money on the base but invest it rather on the lenses.... therefore is it better to get the Costco one? or should i DEF invest in Xsi instead?

Also,

My photography is going to be very basic..like not on bugs and stuff....photography like this:

Duo-490pixels.jpg (image)

and this :

Quattro-490pixels.jpg (image)

thanks a lot

well the difference in price between the XS and the XSi is very small (camera body wise) and yet the difference in cost is noticable - the XS really is an odd release and I really can't understand why canon made and released it when a small increase in price gets you a XSi with improved features.
The lens before the body aspect applies mainly to when people start looking at midrange (like the 40D and 50D) bodies and spending all their money on that and not on lenses - a low end body like an XSi combined with high end lenses will give you a much bigger increase in quality than a 50D with a kit lens attached.

As for the macro since your not looking at insects I would say go for the canon EFS 60mm macro is a very good lens and its only real downside is that it will only work for a crop sensor camera (it will not work with a 5D or 5DM2 or any other full frame camera). Thus for starting out its not a bad choice.

Another alternative is to buy a used body and put the difference into a better lens, or some advantageous accessories like a tripod and remote shutter release, a camera bag, extra battery, extra memory, etc. It's these ancilliary items that make the hobby broaden for you and a bit more fun.

If you have something like craigslist.com in Canada, you can keep an eye for the model you like or even get an upgraded body for the same ballpark for price.

Just my 2¢.

BTW, I shoot Nikon. :biggrin:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back