Camera buying habits?

jrayphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a college student working on a market research project for my advertising class and I'm trying to gather some demographic info on photographers and their camera buying habits. There just aren't enough serious photographers here, so I'm trying to cast a wider net. The project will culminate in me developing an ad campaign for the FujiFilm X100S, but for now I'm just trying to gather some baseline info. If you could take a minute or two to fill out this survey I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks for the help.

Let's see: I bought an SLR in 1978 and a DSLR in 2007. In 2009 I needed an SLR so I bought another one because I had donated the first one. Oh, yes, I bought my son both an SLR and a DSLR. Five cameras in 34 years . . . not much of a habit.

Hi all,
I'm a college student working on a market research project for my advertising class and I'm trying to gather some demographic info on photographers and their camera buying habits. There just aren't enough serious photographers here, so I'm trying to cast a wider net. The project will culminate in me developing an ad campaign for the FujiFilm X100S, but for now I'm just trying to gather some baseline info. If you could take a minute or two to fill out this survey I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks for the help.

The problem with what you are wanting is that different types of photographers are more likely to upgrade at different intervals. For instance professional sports photographer is probably going to upgrade sooner then a landscape photographer because the shutter count on his camera is going to be much faster.

In addition the Fuji x100s is not going to be the camera choice of ether a sports photographer or a landscape photographer.

There are two types of people that upgrade there cameras often. Those who use there cameras so much that they have to out of need. And those who just like having the latest and greatest camera. I don't think the x100s really fits ether of those categories. If you are the kind of person who shoots so much they need to get a new camera out of necessity you are not going to be using a x100 or x100s. If you are the kind that just wants the latest and greatest your are going to want something greater then the x100s.

95% of those who would get a x100s are consumers who decide they want a nice little camera for a vacation or other events and they don't upgrade often.

Survey done!

Hope you get everything you need. :D

Hi all,

Thanks for the help.

Poorly produced survey. I gave up because NONE of the answers were appropriate. How for example can you respond to the Fuji question if you know absolutely nothing about the camera? Choosing a camera also does NOT relate to the potential answers.
It might be for features for example or lens quality.

"Architecture" is misspelled.

Also, you need to allow multiple answers for most of the categories. Most people don't "primarily" shoot any one subject. Many people don't shoot "primarily" with a single camera.

The only question that can't be answered if you don't own the camera, or are familiar with it, is the final question. Seeing as you can't complete the survey without providing a response, I said the biggest weakness was the price. The answers should allow for an "N/A" option.

Also, the question regarding which subjects are shot needs to allow for multiple answers. I shoot everything, so providing a single response would be grossly inaccurate. I answered "Other".

Good luck...

Since the thread is on topic for the X100s, why not givea little in forum camera feedback.

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I don't really show any interest in it either.

I guess for the same reason I have never considered a purchase of a Leica. If I wanted a rangefinder, I'd just buy a 35mm film Rangefinder and save my wallet a ton of heartache. I just don't see the point in dropping over $1k on a pure hobby camera.

Most reactions

Back