Camera Choice for a Beginner

McLovin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am just getting into higher quality photography and I don't know which camera I should look for. I am looking for a DSLR in a price range of about $500-600. I've already done as much research as I can without knowing much about higher end cameras (well, higher end compared to department store stuff), and I think I've narrowed it down to two particular cameras, but I'm still very open to other suggestions.

Anyways, between a Pentax K100D and a Nikon D40, which would be the better value? Both for quality photos, and for a beginner to learn on.

Thanks a lot for any input!

McLovin

I heard the Canon Rebel XT is a really good beginners camera and is probably is in your price range.

But don't go immediately with my suggestion. Wait for someone with more experience to answer.

McLovin!!!!!!!

My only gripe with the D40's is that with the higher end Nikon lenses they won't autofocus because the D40 has no autofocus motor in the body. I would say a Xt or XTi, but I will admit to a Canon bias. :)

And I will admit Olympus bias when I suggest the E-410, E-500, or E-510 :)

My E-500 has proven to be a great learning tool as my first DSLR, but more people will probably suggest Nikon and Canon.

D40 is a great camera for beginners, but its inability to autofocus with certain lenses could very like comeback to haunt you.

I like the look of the Sony A100 not only because I am a Sony fan but if you're a somebody who sees a photographic oppurtunity, turn on your camera and it autofocuses when your eye is at the view finder and shoot away! And it has Super SteadyShot!!

Woah this forum must be really active since the responses are quick!

The Rebel XT and A100 seem like they might be just a bit more then I'm willing pay at the moment, but they look like great cameras. I would be tempted to get a Sony just because I already have a 4GB Sony Pro Duo memory card, but according to Sony's website you need a CompactFlash adapter anyways.

One question I have specifically about the K100D though: I've been told that Pentax camera's have more weather resistance bodies then some other camera's, is that true? If it is, it would be an important feature to me because I would be outdoors most of the time.

I'll look into the Olympus lineup, I don't know anything at all about them to be honest so maybe they might have something of interest that I missed.

Woah this forum must be really active since the responses are quick!

The Rebel XT and A100 seem like they might be just a bit more then I'm willing pay at the moment, but they look like great cameras. I would be tempted to get a Sony just because I already have a 4GB Sony Pro Duo memory card, but according to Sony's website you need a CompactFlash adapter anyways.

One question I have specifically about the K100D though: I've been told that Pentax camera's have more weather resistance bodies then some other camera's, is that true? If it is, it would be an important feature to me because I would be outdoors most of the time.

I'll look into the Olympus lineup, I don't know anything at all about them to be honest so maybe they might have something of interest that I missed.
The A100 comes with a CompactFlash Adapter for your Memory Stick Pro Duo card! :D:D:D

I'll definitely keep that in mind then for the Sony camera's, since I would have go out and buy SD cards if I went with any other cameras.

How does the A100 compare to the A200? Since the A200 is more in the price range I'm looking for and the A100 is a bit above (according to the prices on Sony's website).

McLovin!!!!!!!

My only gripe with the D40's is that with the higher end Nikon lenses they won't autofocus because the D40 has no autofocus motor in the body. I would say a Xt or XTi, but I will admit to a Canon bias. :)

It's unlikely that a beginner will use the lenses that you're describing. I have the D80 so the issue is moot. However, my old film lenses won't autofocus with the 40-series. One is 50 mm fixed focal length f/1.4 and the other is 85 mm fixed focal length f/1.8. By the time that a new user graduates to these lenses, he or she will also upgrade the body.

I'll definitely keep that in mind then for the Sony camera's, since I would have go out and buy SD cards if I went with any other cameras.

How does the A100 compare to the A200? Since the A200 is more in the price range I'm looking for and the A100 is a bit above (according to the prices on Sony's website).

The A200 is the A100 but in a more compact form. It has a slightly bigger screen also. Same meapixels. Auto-Focus speed is faster by 1.7x. It's lighter and more compact.

With the A200, you have to purchase the adpater seperately though. GOod luck finding an A100 if you want one.

the XT not XTi is selling on amazon.com for $459 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

The xt is 8mp and the Xti is 10mp.

i've had my XT for a year and I have been very happy with it.

the XT is considered to be an entry level DSLR so the lenses you buy for it will also fit the higher end canon DSLRs. I don't know if nikon does the same with their cameras or not. i would assume they do.

most people will tell you, put your money in the glass and buy a cheap body. camera bodies will come and go, but the glass should last you for life.

just picked up the XT tonight from my local best buy with 18-55 lense for 549. I have only take a couple of test shots but I am in love with it, great beginner camera for sure.

the XT not XTi is selling on amazon.com for $459 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

The xt is 8mp and the Xti is 10mp.

i've had my XT for a year and I have been very happy with it.

the XT is considered to be an entry level DSLR so the lenses you buy for it will also fit the higher end canon DSLRs. I don't know if nikon does the same with their cameras or not. i would assume they do.

most people will tell you, put your money in the glass and buy a cheap body. camera bodies will come and go, but the glass should last you for life.

I probably must have been looking at the wrong Rebel model, the one I thought was the XT was over $1000. I'll definitely take another look at the XT if I can get one with a lens for that price.

McLOVIN!!!!!!!!!!lololol

anywho, check on your local Craigslist. If you do not mind buying used, there are some great deals to be had. i picked up my NikonD50(with kit lens), everything still in the box, bought a couple of lenses(nikor 70-300, sigma 28-80), filters, and what have you, and just spent around 600.

As far as brand spankin new,I have no idea...

Craigslist is a good idea. I used it when I was looking for a vehicle but I didn't think of checking for stuff like cameras on there.

Also, @ That One Guy (or anyone else who knows): How does the Canon XT compare to the K100D's Shake Reduction? I would imagine that no matter what equivalent feature the Canon has, it's still way better then a $200 point and shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back