Camera Choice? Nikon D5000 vs D90

Need4Speed11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
All, first thanks for taking time to read and respond ... I have the option to get a 2 lens kit and a D5000 Nikon, or hold out a bit longer and get a D90, but with no lenses (except the standard). I travel, and will be using my points to get the camera, and just was wondering what would be best.

My personal opinion, the D90 may be overkill for the images I am shooting, and having a D5000 with lens choice would be far better. Most of what I shoot are indoor cheer events (for my daughter) and outside shots mountains, cars, etc.

Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

I had the same question until I figured I might as well buy the D90. Everyone on this thread is going to say D90.

The main problem with the D5000 is it can only autofocus AF-S and AF-I lenses, this means your lens choice is cut down from Nikon.

Although if size matters the D5000 is much smaller and lighter than the D90.

The best way to do this is to go into the camera shop and compare both in real life, find out which feels best for you.

Hope that helps. :lol:

Dan.

Awesome man. You enjoying it?

All, first thanks for taking time to read and respond ... I have the option to get a 2 lens kit and a D5000 Nikon, or hold out a bit longer and get a D90, but with no lenses (except the standard). I travel, and will be using my points to get the camera, and just was wondering what would be best.

My personal opinion, the D90 may be overkill for the images I am shooting, and having a D5000 with lens choice would be far better. Most of what I shoot are indoor cheer events (for my daughter) and outside shots mountains, cars, etc.

Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.
There's a couple of D5000/D90 threads going right now. If you use the search feature you should find several more.

The better LCD monitor, 921,000 dots for the D90 to 230,000 dots for the D500, is a biggie.

Otherwise the D5000 is just a D90 with no in-the-body auto focus motor.

Last edited:
Indoor cheer events, indoor gymnastics, indoor volleyball, basketball,wrestling,badminton--one lens: Nikon 85mm f/1.8 AF-D. That's the fastest focusing medium telephoto that's not AF-S. That lens needs an in-body focusing motor. Another good indoor lens is the 50mm 1.8 AF-D. That too needs an in-body focusing motor,although Sigma and Nikon do make f/1.4 speed 50mm lenses that have in-lens AF motors. But those are pretty expensive 50mm lenses.

For comparisons of the D90 and D5000, I would go here Digital Photography Notes

and look at this specific article Nikon D5000 vs Nikon D90 Compared | Digital Photography Notes

Plus the D90 review, the D90 tips article, and the D5000 tips article.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back