Camera choice? Urgent

Einny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sony DSLR A-700/ Nikon DSLR D300/ Nikon DSLR D312/ Sigma SD14/ Canon DSLR 5D
Which one? Can someone help me? Urgent

DSLR choices are not easy and there are a few things we need to know to be able to help you find your better options but ultimately it will come down to what feels the best and is the easiest for you to navigate. The first thing is what kind of photography are you going to be doing this will help you decide what options you have to have does it need to have weather sealing, live view, FF. Next are the options you want do you want IS/VR on the lenses or in the camera, flip out screen, 3" screen, what cards it takes CF, SD,. With your list you might as well put a Olympus E3 on there as well to start out but I do not know what a Nikon D312 is

Yeah we really do need more information, going purely on specs alone i would probably say the d300 unless you need full frame. But specs cant make up for how it feels in your hand and how easy it is for you, after all, if you dont enjoy using it your not going to use it. Oh also if by 312 you meant d3, then definatly d3 if its based on specs alone.

DSLR choices are not easy and there are a few things we need to know to be able to help you find your better options but ultimately it will come down to what feels the best and is the easiest for you to navigate. The first thing is what kind of photography are you going to be doing this will help you decide what options you have to have does it need to have weather sealing, live view, FF. Next are the options you want do you want IS/VR on the lenses or in the camera, flip out screen, 3" screen, what cards it takes CF, SD,. With your list you might as well put a Olympus E3 on there as well to start out but I do not know what a Nikon D312 is

My interest is to focus into close up flowers and landscaping. I will need to use Macro and Wide Angle lens. Help me.. I'm so clueless..

Oooo very important info you just provided.

Wide angle lenses are "more dramatic" (for lack of a better term) on full frame cameras such as the 5D. This is due to the crop fractor of the sensors in cameras with less than full frame.

Does anyone know how Macro is affected by the crop factor of a camera? (don't do enough macro to have the answer)

Seems like you are looking at pretty high level cameras considering you know nothing about them. Set your sights a little lower and get a couple lenses. I'd recommend the nikon d80 or the canon 30d or 40d. I shoot nikon because I just sort of fell into it, but after looking at the controls on the canon's I have no regrets.

If you are shooting Flowers and such I would go with Nikon just becuase they have such vibrant colors..... Just my opinion and I own all canon :eek:)

What about Sony A-700? Do you have any advice?

If you are shooting Flowers and such I would go with Nikon just becuase they have such vibrant colors..... Just my opinion and I own all canon :eek:)

Canon RAW does generally look more "flat" but the information necessary to produce high contrast vibrant photos is definitely there. It is my understanding that it was a design choice by Canon... they are being conservative and assume a certain amount of post-pro to really pull everything the RAW file has to offer. In terms of JPG, most of these adjustments are performed in camera automatically and you can set the adjustments via menus.

In the film days, we used to have a selection of negatives (or slides) that fit your taste... high versus low saturation, contrast etc... For DSLRs, you don't have that choice so each company had to find a compromise...

That is my understanding.. of course I could have been fed a bunch of marketing BS too...

Is this a rhetorical question?

The 5D, of course.

Look into the Kodak DCS14 if you want full frame on a budget.

It is really difficult for anyone to tell you what you need. You really need to decide that for yourself. We can advise you as to the right step to take and so forth. My first question is usually: "What is your budget?" Followed by: "what sort of image quality are you after?" That will be the determining factor is which body to choose. Granted the Canon 5D and Nikon D300 rank at the top of anyone's list, but any of the cameras you mentioned will do the task. You have to decide on what functions you need from the camera body. Crop-sensors are not a big issue for macro photography as much as it is for wide-angles, but I believe it's shortcomings are coming to past. Also look at the lens line-up and accessories that said particular brand carries. You will be inclined to add more glass, flashes, etc. as you progress, so keep that in mind.
For macros of flowers and such, look into a 60-100mm dedicated macro lens. A good tripod is also recommended. Micro-blur will become an issue at larger magnification. Live-View is pretty nifty for macros though but I really like the AF-S 105mm Macro VR. Decisons, decisions.

It is really difficult for anyone to tell you what you need. You really need to decide that for yourself. We can advise you as to the right step to take and so forth. My first question is usually: "What is your budget?" Followed by: "what sort of image quality are you after?" That will be the determining factor is which body to choose. Granted the Canon 5D and Nikon D300 rank at the top of anyone's list, but any of the cameras you mentioned will do the task. You have to decide on what functions you need from the camera body. Crop-sensors are not a big issue for macro photography as much as it is for wide-angles, but I believe it's shortcomings are coming to past. Also look at the lens line-up and accessories that said particular brand carries. You will be inclined to add more glass, flashes, etc. as you progress, so keep that in mind.
For macros of flowers and such, look into a 60-100mm dedicated macro lens. A good tripod is also recommended. Micro-blur will become an issue at larger magnification. Live-View is pretty nifty for macros though but I really like the AF-S 105mm Macro VR. Decisons, decisions.

Price is no matter to me. I just need to find DSLR camera that has more than 12 megapixel. Those list are my choice. Currently i'm using Canon Powershot and its good. When i take closeup pictures its come out amazing. For DSLR i need camera that easy to learn cause i'm going to visit New Zealand next month.

Price is no matter to me. I just need to find DSLR camera that has more than 12 megapixel.

Well then.... I personally would get the 1DS Mark II purchased used after Canon releases the Mark III (or new). Do you really need a camera with more than 12 mpix?

Macro is a whole different beast when it comes to equipment. Tripod w/ rails and proper lighting of some sort should also be considered on top of the camera+lens.

What about Sony A-700? Do you have any advice?

The Sony A700 is a nice medium level camera with a super bright viewfinder and high resolution LCD screeen. It has seals against dust and moisture, an enhanced on board stabilizer that offers about 3 stops slower shutterspeed handheld and under very low light at ISO 1600 has the same resolution as the Nikon D200 at ISO 100 under normal light. Zeiss lenses are top quality and Minolta and Sony have excellent macro lenses as well that are all compatible with this camera.

skieur

Price is no matter to me. I just need to find DSLR camera that has more than 12 megapixel. Those list are my choice. Currently i'm using Canon Powershot and its good. When i take closeup pictures its come out amazing. For DSLR i need camera that easy to learn cause i'm going to visit New Zealand next month.

Well, even if price is not an issue, I wouldn't advise just throwing it at the highest price gear, since you might not need or use most of it's advantages. That said, take a look at the Canon 40D or Nikon D300. Both are mid-level cameras of exceptional quality. If you need a FF sensor with better ISO control, than the Canon 5D is the way to go. AT 12+ MP your really only looking at the 5D and D300. Dunno if there is that much change from the 10.1MP of the 40D? Granted an updated 5D may be on the horizon, but what can you do? May be more difficult to get the D300 since it was just released this week.
Start with a decent general purpose lens for your non-macro work and a macro in the 60-100mm range.
A tripod with a ball-head and horizontal travel option will definitely help. I also like to use a flexible arm/clamp thingy similar to the Wimberley "Plamp" sold by B&H to steady some flowers and such.
For the absolute best macro lens (since price is not an issue) look at the EF 180 f/3.5 Macro. :mrgreen: Undisputed king of macro lenses. If you're going to use natural lighting, it gives you the added benefit of being further away so you do not cast your shadow over the subject. Lights are good investment as you get better and feel a need for them. I would love to get one of those twin-light set-ups but I hate toting around extra gear. Hence teh natural light option.

Most reactions

Back