Camera choice....

JAC526

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am a rank beginner.

My uncle has been nice enough to lend me a Panasonic GH1 with the video hack. I'll probably be able to borrow the camera for at least a couple months.

He has said he is willing to sell me the camera if I decide I like it.

My question is should I buy this camera from him or buy a different camera down the road.

I want to shoot regular point and shoot family stuff, portraits, nature landscapes, and fine art type stuff down the road.

I've bought and am reading Understanding Exposure and my goal is to shoot everything but the point and shoot stuff in full manul mode.

What camera is a solid camera that I can buy and will have room to grow into for the next few years as I progress?

Thanks for putting up with my rank newness.

Joe.

Personally, I think the Canon Rebel XTi camera is an excellent beginner camera. Offers full manual mode, like you want and it's great for point and shoot. It has modes where you can just change the aperture or just change the shutter speed so you can experiment and learn new techniques easily.

Well, you are starting off well with Understanding Exposure. Before spending any money, spend as much time as possible with the panasonic and really learn the basics. After that, if you can afford it, I would start off with a dSLR which will allow you to grow as you learn. It really depends on your budget. If you are sure you are going to stick with it, I would go with a bare minimum a Canon T3i or a Nikon D5100. ( If you have the cash and want to go a step higher, get either a Nikon D7000, or a Canon 7D )

Well, you are starting off well with Understanding Exposure. Before spending any money, spend as much time as possible with the panasonic and really learn the basics. After that, if you can afford it, I would start off with a dSLR which will allow you to grow as you learn. It really depends on your budget. If you are sure you are going to stick with it, I would go with a bare minimum a Canon T3i or a Nikon D5100. ( If you have the cash and want to go a step higher, get either a Nikon D7000, or a Canon 7D )

I'm thinking that a used T3i or D5100 is probably at the top of my budget.

Where will I find the limits of these two cameras?

Thanks for your help.

You will find the limits of those 2 cameras within your own creativity, knowledge of how they work, and how skillfully you are able to use them.

Fair enough...I was more thinking along the lines of any capabilities that I may find lacking in the two cameras. But I like your answer.

I guess I'll be the only one who will really be able to decide that?

Thanks.

The main shortcomings of those cameras would probably come in terms of AF, resolution, and Frames Per Second capabilities. If you think you may want to eventually shoot wildlife, or sports, the frame rate as well as focus ability may become more of an issue. If you want to print large prints, resolution may become an issue. ( this also depends on how picky you are about your prints. ) Along the lines of what KmH said, most pro photographers could take an entry level dSLR and produce stunning images. You will ALWAYS want the next best camera with added features and convenience, so you are always going to be working with what you have to maximize its potential. So in terms of limits and "growing" its really a never ending quest in one sense, so you have to draw the line somewhere and just get on with shooting.

You make a good point...but that was essentially the stuff I was looking for.

Thanks again for the help.

Hopefully soon I'll fell confident enough to post some pictures so you guys can tell me what I did wrong. :lol:

Joe

Most reactions

Back