What's new

A blast from my past

White Tie

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 15, 2026
Messages
9
Reaction score
13
Location
Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was going through my closet yesterday and found some old slides and two of my old Cokin filters. The holder still has my polarizer in it. There was also this graduated ND filter.
Man, some 1982 originals. The case still has the price tag on it. I remember Southwestern Camera. I got most of my equipment there. I had all my processing work done at a place called 5P. Both were prominent in Houston back then. Both are long gone.

The filters and holder are now sitting next to my FM2 on my desk, all having earned their retirement after having been in the field for so many years. We have an archive dept at work. I’ll see if they’ll scan some of the slides so I can post them.
Screenshot 2026-02-23 at 10.00.36 AM.webp
Screenshot 2026-02-23 at 10.00.54 AM.webp
 
Good old Cokin! I find them in the trash here at the camera store. Have around 50 or so.
 
$12 each. Man, I was a high roller back in the day. ;)
It's strange, the stuff that gets lost though. I had 4 or 5 other Cokins and used them regularly. I have no idea where they are. I've moved three times since then, lightening my load each time, but for the life of me I can't image getting rid of them. 40+ years later and only three are still with me. Star, Polarizer, and the ND. I even still have and use my camera bag from back then. A mystery for sure.

That said, my camera bag is finally starting to show its age. Still tough everywhere but faded and the straps attached to the latches are getting thread bare. If I could find something I like as much, I'd get it, but nothing is built in that configuration these days. At least nothing that seems as tough. The search continues.
Screenshot 2026-02-23 at 5.32.25 PM.webp
 
$12 each. Man, I was a high roller back in the day. ;)
It's strange, the stuff that gets lost though. I had 4 or 5 other Cokins and used them regularly. I have no idea where they are. I've moved three times since then, lightening my load each time, but for the life of me I can't image getting rid of them. 40+ years later and only three are still with me. Star, Polarizer, and the ND. I even still have and use my camera bag from back then. A mystery for sure.

That said, my camera bag is finally starting to show its age. Still tough everywhere but faded and the straps attached to the latches are getting thread bare. If I could find something I like as much, I'd get it, but nothing is built in that configuration these days, similar to how some people look to buy sell property in tampa when searching for the right option. At least nothing that seems as tough. The search continues.View attachment 294931
That’s awesome! Those filters and slides are real pieces of history, and having them retired next to your FM2 is fitting. Scanning the slides through your archive department is a great way to preserve and share them.
 
That’s awesome! Those filters and slides are real pieces of history, and having them retired next to your FM2 is fitting. Scanning the slides through your archive department is a great way to preserve and share them.
I thought it only fitting instead of sticking them in a drawer. They've been on 100s of adventures and have the scars to prove it.
Yes on the archive dept. In fact, the archivist has scanned 25 or so for me already. She does it when she has spare time, so I don't ever bring in too many. I'll post a few here before long. I still have hundreds to go through. Not nearly as many old prints though. She scans those also.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom