Camera for Night Photography

bcarlson87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking to learn more about night time photography: Shooting the night skies, auroras etc. I currently have a Nikon D3100 and D5100. Does anyone have experience using those cameras with this type of photography and being able to take good photos. I understand the lens may also play a factor into this. I currently use the Nikon 18mm-55mm lens for my night photography.

If this camera set up isn't recommended for night photography, what camera set up would you recommend to someone? I wouldn't mind an upgrade in gear soon.

thanks for your input!

Those should do fine for starting out. Do you have a tripod and a remote shutter release?

Those should do fine for starting out. Do you have a tripod and a remote shutter release?

Yes tripod and Yes Remote. I am still learning how to use the remote tho. just got it!

While you camera and lens are relatively basic they can do the job at hand very nicely, what you need is to learn how to use them correctly.
Night photography is a whole science onto itself, take your time to learn it and the amazing results will come soon after.

Good luck! :)

Agree with GoodGuy. Learn the basics + of night shooting before you think of a different camera.
Jsecord above uses a Nikon 750 (I think) but his friend in the blog is using an 800.
Find your skill/needs and get the camera you need.
Be warned ; you are about to become hooked!

Agree with GoodGuy. Learn the basics + of night shooting before you think of a different camera.
Jsecord above uses a Nikon 750 (I think) but his friend in the blog is using an 800.
Find your skill/needs and get the camera you need.
Be warned ; you are about to become hooked!

He used a d800e at the time of the article, but now has a d810a and I believe still has a 750.

Most reactions

Back