Camera for under 150 euro

Vabs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been meaning to buy a camera but I'm on a rather limited budget. Currently the only camera thing in the house is my old smartphone and "abysmal" doesn't even begin to describe the picture quality it produces.

Obviously I have next to no experience in photography, but one has to start somewhere. Would much prefer a camera with manual mode (to grow into) and stabilization (shaky hands). Will be taking mostly still shots.

My current candidate is Canon PowerShot SX160 IS which is under 100 euro from a local dealer. But considering it's a few years old, I'm sure there should be newer, better options around.

Unfortunately google wasn't very productive. There's a whole bunch of cameras in the price range, but most reviews seem to be conflicting or based around what I consider to be irrelevant features (who cares if a camera has wifi, a touchscreen or instagram filters if I can make a better picture by using a box with a hole, a sheet of paper and a pencil).

And in my searches found this little forum so I thought maybe you'd be able to help?

I did a quick search on Google here in the US.

I converted 150 Euros to $170, but the search is broken at $150 or $200 dollars US.

I thought you might be able to stretch to 177 Euro, but you might find it for less.

The top three in this list are;

Olympus SP-820UZ iHS

Panasonic Lumix ZS20

Canon PowerShot SX500 IS

At that price point there isn't many good options besides some decent point and shoots.

You can get a Canon PowerShot ELPH 170 IS for 131 Euros. ($149 USD) Its not yet released, but will be in a couple weeks. I know these are pretty good point and shots, lot of YouTuber vloggers use the ELPH line. This will probably be the most newest camera you can get.

You might be able to find a Nikon D40 + 18-55 kit lens around the top end of your budget..maybe even the D40x if you are lucky. They are outdated DSLRs, but still have bigger sensors than point and shoots and will still provide better image quality.

There's a lightly used D70 in the buy and sell forum for $110.
Nikon D70 with AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED

LOW SHUTTER COUNT. Only 4700 clicks.

It's old,but it's a great camera to learn on and it's very capable of taking great shots.
I keep looking at it because I'm tempted to buy it myself.

I did a quick search on Google here in the US.
I converted 150 Euros to $170, but the search is broken at $150 or $200 dollars US.
I thought you might be able to stretch to 177 Euro, but you might find it for less.
The top three in this list are;
Olympus SP-820UZ iHS
Panasonic Lumix ZS20
Canon PowerShot SX500 IS
Unfortunately I'm in EU (specifically Lithuania) and I'd really rather not stretch the budget beyond that, especially with the shipping and import taxes. So any of these I'd only be able to afford buying used ones locally.

The Olympus looks okay, but is there an iHS model and a normal one or something? I'm assuming the former, but search is turning up hits both with and without the iHS part. And the filters are kind of irking me (I know I can just ignore them).

I remember checking a review for SX510 IS which mentioned it solving a lot of issues with SX500 IS and a quick search shows it's cheaper too.

At that price point there isn't many good options besides some decent point and shoots.
You can get a Canon PowerShot ELPH 170 IS for 131 Euros. ($149 USD) Its not yet released, but will be in a couple weeks. I know these are pretty good point and shots, lot of YouTuber vloggers use the ELPH line. This will probably be the most newest camera you can get.
You might be able to find a Nikon D40 + 18-55 kit lens around the top end of your budget..maybe even the D40x if you are lucky. They are outdated DSLRs, but still have bigger sensors than point and shoots and will still provide better image quality.
I think the ELPH series is named IXUS in here. Though I don't want a simple point and shoot.

Starting to look into the DSLRs, seems like it's quality at the expense of convenience (ie the opposite of point and shoots).

There's a lightly used D70 in the buy and sell forum for $110.
Nikon D70 with AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
It's old,but it's a great camera to learn on and it's very capable of taking great shots.
I keep looking at it because I'm tempted to buy it myself.
Looks like a good deal, but shipping and possible taxes might be a deal killer. Not to mention buying used items internationally is just asking for trouble.

Thank you for the replies.

Seems like there's a whole bunch of used Nikon DSLRs for sale in my country and I'd really like more info on them in general if someone would be so kind.

Though I'm a bit wary of buying something that was released 10 years ago. Am I safe to assume that because of the larger sensor even an old DLSR will beat pretty much anything else close to my price range?

And how do older mid range Nikon models (D70) compare to newer entry level ones (D40)? I could possibly even get something as new as D3100 and definitely D60 if I scrape the upper limit of my budget.

Actually, any other DSLRs worth looking into at my price range?

Used Canon G15

Nikon 1 J1 or V1 are about $100 with a 10-30mm lens.

Might be able to find other old model mirrorless cameras for the same price

Most reactions

New Topics

Back