camera noob! need help

sobi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so im starting to look into a fairly major purchase for a digicam. I do graphic design, so image quality will need to be somewhat better than average. I'm guessing that 5 mega pixels or above should suffice. my pricerange is up to about $600. I would like at least some bonus features like B&W capability, sephia, and negative, ect ect... Being able to put on a wide angle (fish eye) lense would be something i would also want............ALOT...... heh. Lastly, I definately want what I think is a maual shutter. Like I said, I'm new to this all,and i dont know if its shutter speed, but i want to achieve the following effects.

22.jpg

REALLY like that style with all the trails of light, but the rest in focus. Is that achieved by shutter speed? If so, thats a definate feature i want. I know nothing about cameras really, but want to learn and want to have a good tool with more than the average features to learn with. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!!!

thanks in advance,
jared

Jared- I think that you might have a tough time trying to find a 5MP camera for under or even $600. I have a sony f717 which has 5 effective megapixels. It has a spectacular zeiss lense and a 5x optical zoom. Also, it has manual controls that would allow you to get the effect you wanted in the picture above. FYI, as noted, your shutter speed would be the effective control you would want to use in order to get the desired effect.

As for special effects options, sepia is included, solarize and negative and nightshot. No Black and white. But B&W can be made using a program like photoshop elements or pro.

I would recommend the f717, also you might want to look at the sony v1. Another nice 5 mp camera.

i have been particular to the look and style of the 717 for a while. Its the one I want, but am refraining until I get feedback from people like you who know what they are talking about. :) On the f717, can you put on a fish eye lense?

Well, in my opinion, and of course mine is biased, the f717 is a great camera and I highly recommend it. As far as putting a fish-eye lense on it, I see no reason why not. I haven't researched it, but you can buy any other lense, ie; telephoto, wideangle/macro for it and I'm almost positive I've seen a fish-eye. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

You might want to read this article from Popular Photography & Imaging:

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=708

It is entitled "Why Spend $700 plus for a digital camera" and basically reviews 4 very nice 5MP cameras: the Canon Powershot G5, Nikon Coolpix 5400, Olympus Camedia C-5050, and Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1.

These cameras sell in the $680-800 range and have nearly the same features as many SLR cameras, including great exposure controls, and high quality lenses. The Canon and Sony nearly equalled 6MP image quality, putting them in digital SLR range.

Most reactions

Back