Camera Noob Question

RÅW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a question and was hoping someone can help me out.

I currently use Nikon D7000 and was wondering if I use Aperture Mode and take a picture it seems to come out a bit blurry but when i switch over to automatic mode it comes out sharp. I tested it couple times using different items and continuously comes out with the same results. So what does that mean? How can i use Aperture mode and make the image come out sharp?

If they're blurry it's probably from camera shake. You're most likely using too small an aperture for the available light, so your camera is choosing a slow shutter speed to compensate. For a solution, read up on the "exposure triangle" to learn how ISO, aperture and shutter speed contribute to exposure and what each of their jobs are.

So if i used the lower aperture on a sunny day outside it would come out shaper?

I am not familiar with Nikons, but in a Canon DSLR, you get a warning in the view finder if your exposure is insufficient. What you have described, does sound like camera shake as Brian has indicated in his post. So let me ask, are you familiar with the "sunny 16" rule that was used by those of us who used film for years. It is a guide (rather than a rule) and you can get some info on it here...

Sunny 16 rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hopefully this might help a bit with some of your exposure and camera shake problems. Basically this rule is designed, to some extent, around the old thought that you should not hand-hold a camera at speed below 1/(focal length of the lens), e.g., if you are shooting with a 100mm lens, then hand-holding your camera at exposures greater than 1/100 of a second. e.g., 1/30 of a second, will most likely result in camera shake, unless you have some form of IS (I believe it is called VR by Nikon) and then you may be able to get away with a longer exposure time. This all assumes you are shooting at an aperture of f/16, but check out the website and see if there is anything there that might help.

WesternGuy

Likely setting aperture mode is dropping your shutter speed, auto is giving you a high enough speed. Controlling aperture will control:

a) How much light gets in the camera (smaller number = bigger hole=more light=shorter/faster shutter speed)
b) Depth of field, ie how much depth of the image is in focus (smaller number=bigger hole=less depth= good for portriats. Bigger number=smaller hole=more depth=good for landscapes)

Focal length will also have an impact on how sharp an image is, the more you zoom in, the more camera shake is exagerated. A good guide is to always ensure that you have a shutter speed that 'matches' your focal length, eg shooting at 50mm, no slower than 1/50th sec, shooting at 150mm, no slower than 1/150th sec.

See how the shutter speed changes between the two settings, that's more or less certainly where the problem is. Or try this, check te aperature that auto is using, then in Aperturte Mode, set the same aperture, there will be no difference in picture quality because you've set the same exposure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back