Speedlite 300EZ massively over exposing

bozzie66

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi
I have recently purchased a lovely 70D and have an old 300EZ speedlite in my cupboard , so I fitted new batteries , pressed the test button, works OK, then fitted it to the 70D switched to P , mode , set the iso to 100 , took a few indoor shots that came out almost white.
I rarely use a flash , but only tried this as I already have it , so I'm a bit green when it comes to using a flash unit.
Any suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Boz

Show us an example of what you mean by "over exposing"

Also, do you have A-TTL selected, or manual flash selected?

EDIT: I did not know how old this flash gun was. It seems its a very old flash gun. I don't know if the 70D is fully compatible with the flashgun

Last edited:
Show us an example of what you mean by "over exposing"

Also, do you have A-TTL selected, or manual flash selected?

EDIT: I did not know how old this flash gun was. It seems its a very old flash gun. I don't know if the 70D is fully compatible with the flashgun
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
I'll double check all the camera settings, and compatibility, as its an old flash , and have heard that some old film flashes are not compatible with a Dslr.
I don't often use a flashgun , but as I have it , it was worth trying out.
Thanks
Boz

The EZ series of Speedlite were made to be used with film cameras and the TTL metering was done off the film. They can be used with DSLR's but only in manual mode. A word of warning: some of the old flash guns used a very high trigger voltage which can fry modern DSLR electronics.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
I'll double check all the camera settings, and compatibility, as its an old flash , and have heard that some old film flashes are not compatible with a Dslr.
I don't often use a flashgun , but as I have it , it was worth trying out.
Thanks
Boz
The flash is A-TTL and the camera uses E-TTL, they simply won't communicate with each other with regards to this, hence the reason why you're getting over exposure. The best thing is the learn how to use manual exposure, but that said, you won't be able to set this in the camera, only on the flash itself AFAIK

The flash is A-TTL and the camera uses E-TTL, they simply won't communicate with each other with regards to this, hence the reason why you're getting over exposure. The best thing is the learn how to use manual exposure, but that said, you won't be able to set this in the camera, only on the flash itself AFAIK
Thanks all for the advice, I think I will forget about using this and look at getting a suitable flash unit in the near future, as I only tried it out as it was in the cupboard left over from my 35mm cameras , and it's not worth the risk of frying my electrics.
Thanks
Boz

You will not damage your camera with this flash as you have already used it on your camera with no ill effects (the EZ series do not use the high trigger voltages I mentioned earlier).

To use the flash successfully, you need to put the camera into Manual mode; set the shutter speed to 1/250th sec and the aperture to f8. Make an exposure and judge the result on the LCD screen. Open the aperture if the shot is underexposed, close down the aperture if the shot is over exposed. Reducing the shutter speed will not affect the flash exposure but it will affect the background exposure. Reducing the shutter speed will lighten the background but if you go below say 1/60th sec, you run the risk of showing camera shake.

For us really old guys, shooting flash in full manual mode was the only way to shoot flash until Thyristor controlled electronic flashguns came along in the mid 1960's (?) followed by TTL flashguns in the early 1980's (?), For me, it is second nature to use flash this way but I can understand it must seem pretty daunting to a newcomer.

To preserve your sanity it might be better to wait. :encouragement:

You will not damage your camera with this flash as you have already used it on your camera with no ill effects (the EZ series do not use the high trigger voltages I mentioned earlier).

To use the flash successfully, you need to put the camera into Manual mode; set the shutter speed to 1/250th sec and the aperture to f8. Make an exposure and judge the result on the LCD screen. Open the aperture if the shot is underexposed, close down the aperture if the shot is over exposed. Reducing the shutter speed will not affect the flash exposure but it will affect the background exposure. Reducing the shutter speed will lighten the background but if you go below say 1/60th sec, you run the risk of showing camera shake.

For us really old guys, shooting flash in full manual mode was the only way to shoot flash until Thyristor controlled electronic flashguns came along in the mid 1960's (?) followed by TTL flashguns in the early 1980's (?), For me, it is second nature to use flash this way but I can understand it must seem pretty daunting to a newcomer.

To preserve your sanity it might be better to wait. :encouragement:
Hi
A belated reply to your reply, thanks for the advice, I tried what you advised and it works, although it means playing around with speed and f stops, but thank you, and its a good excuse to play around with the camera.
I've been involved with photography since I left school in 1974, and I still use film on the odd occasion , but using a flash was something I rarely did , in truth I can be lazy ,so never fully bothered to get to grips with it, but I realize how handy a good flashgun can be so will stick with it me thinks.
Thanks again
Boz

You're very welcome Boz. Flash can be used creatively to open up a whole new world of photography so don't be too quick to shove it back in the cupboard. Take these for example, an off-camera flash, candles, coloured gels, a bit of post-production work and a some of patience can produce some lovely images.
Poseidon_and_Nemertes.jpg

Poseidon & Nemertes

Smoke_1-stick.jpg

Matchstick

Smokey-1.jpg

Cool photos. In the first one the Blue and yellow image looks like a mermaid.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back