camera on the way, what else does a beginner need?

jarg007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Besides a memory card, and if anyone has any recommendations/ good links for a deal on one, what else would i need to get to start using my nikkon d3300 if anything? I have about 5 days to wait for it to ship, so im just trying to prepare.

Read the manual to learn how the camera works.

Patience and a willingness to accept that your images may suck when first starting out. But you are lucky to be in the digital age and starting. I started in the film age, and had to wait for my prints to come back to see how bad I screwed up. That and I had to keep notes on shots to learn where I screwed up. Now you have an EXIF to show you.

Also you need to have the desire to learn. Which now is also much easier, thanks to the interbutz. Just read, watch videos, and learn all you can, and put what you learn into practice.
And again patience, lots of it.

You've lined up a hot,sexy model for the first day's shoot, right?:biglaugh:

Camera, lens, memory card and a computer with some basic editing software (I used faststone image viewer to start with as it was free). Don't need much just the ability to crop, straigten and output your images to an approrpriate size (1000-2000 pixels on the long edge is enough for web viewing).

Other than that the biggest thing you'll need is knowledge, so start by reading the camera manual fromt to back and then study up on some composition.

I would buy a second battery and a charger now and have it ready to go for when the camera arrives. Pick that up along with two memory cards, you don't want to stop shooting while passing the photos from the first card to the computer and even worse having to wait to recharge a battery.

Read the manual to learn how the camera works.

Patience and a willingness to accept that your images may suck when first starting out. But you are lucky to be in the digital age and starting. I started in the film age, and had to wait for my prints to come back to see how bad I screwed up. That and I had to keep notes on shots to learn where I screwed up. Now you have an EXIF to show you.

Also you need to have the desire to learn. Which now is also much easier, thanks to the interbutz. Just read, watch videos, and learn all you can, and put what you learn into practice.
And again patience, lots of it.
And after you have read the manual the READ THE MANUAL AGAIN!!!

A nice camera bag or backpack and a good tripod are both nice to have. You'll soon want to have a strobe with TTL capabilities and on and on but most important is knowledge..

I would buy a second battery and a charger now and have it ready to go for when the camera arrives. Pick that up along with two memory cards, you don't want to stop shooting while passing the photos from the first card to the computer and even worse having to wait to recharge a battery.
gotcha! thanks! doesn't the camera have to be connected to the computer to transfer the memory card data or is there something I'm missing?

gotcha! thanks! doesn't the camera have to be connected to the computer to transfer the memory card data or is there something I'm missing?

Ahhhhh...some type of memory card reader is a common tool to have today; they are not very expensive. Most cameras do come with a connecting cord though, but the trend over the last 15 years has been more and more away from using camera-to-cord-to-PC connecting, and toward the current state of removing the memory card and inserting it into a card reader, and connecting the card reader to the computer.

Awwww........ isn't early G.A.S. Syndrome just the cutest thing ever?! You're only just beginning to spend your money. Don't be in a hurry.............. it can wreak havoc!

Maybe buy a book on exposure and composition or a trip to the library may have some good books to read.

Ahhhhh...some type of memory card reader is a common tool to have today; they are not very expensive. Most cameras do come with a connecting cord though, but the trend over the last 15 years has been more and more away from using camera-to-cord-to-PC connecting, and toward the current state of removing the memory card and inserting it into a card reader, and connecting the card reader to the computer.
ah that's good to know. I'll need to find a card reader than.

Most reactions

Back