Camera recommendation Best point and shoot (compact) under 350 USD

Would you say that the G15 is well worth the extra 100 bucks?? I want something decent since I'll be doing lots of traveling, also are they any good in low light settings??

G5 with its faster lens makes it worth the extra 100 but its larger. Most of these enthusiast compacts wont perform even closely to DSLRs in low light. They are still using relatively small sensors. This was the reason why I mentioned micro 43rds... they fall between these compacts and DSLRS in terms of performance and features. On the other hand, its all about your expectations. Are you talking 400iso or 12800iso? From what I have seen out of compacts, the EXR Fujis and RX100 seem to be ahead in this area but I believe both are out of budget.

While the X20 is out, so the Fuji X10 is around $350 in Amazon now.

Thanks all for your kind answers. So far the consensus is in favor of Canon. So I might go for the S110 since is 100 USD cheaper than the G15

S110 shared some things with the G15, it is a much smaller camera but I think is geared more toward the casual user while the G15 is really much more directed at the photography fan.
The G15 really is a mini DSLR in a P&S body, I would go with the G15 and I think is well worth the money difference but the S110 as I said is an excelled and capable camera.

Would you say that the G15 is well worth the extra 100 bucks?? I want something decent since I'll be doing lots of traveling, also are they any good in low light settings??
Both the G15 and S110 will produce good quality images as they share the same sensor but the S110 is smaller and directed more to the casual user while the G15 is more directed at the photography fan.
As I said many times the G15 is a mini DSLR with a fixed lens.
The camera for its class is very good in low light and when needed I will use it as high as 3200ISO but I wouldn't recommend using it higher then that.
The advantage of the G15 is that you have a very good fast lens 1.8-2.8 which means you are getting a lot of light and will not need in most cases to get up to high ISO.

Is it worth the extra 100$ over the S110 ?
I think yes but that's my thinking, you will need to decide yourself, as I said both cameras will work well but the S110 is cheaper and smaller while the G15 has better and faster lens with all the controls on the body for the photography fans and is more expensive and bigger.

Your choice.

Considering the recent firesale on the Eos Ms recently I'm surprised nobody mentioned them. $299 for an Eos M with a 22mm f/2 lens, APS-C sensor. The one with the 18-55 IS is still $350 on Amazon,. . . . . .just another camera to consider.

Thanks for your comments. To be honest I am a newcomer to photography this would be my first camera I buy in years. My last one was a coolpix S10 that I received as a present. I want to buy one small enough to be carried while traveling but I am willing to compromise some size for image quality. I know next to nothing of photography but I would like one camera that would allow me to play and learn the basics without committing to a huge/expensive DSLR.

On a side note I found the G1X on sale in my home country for about 514 USD (tax included) is is a good deal??

Most reactions

Back