Camera Shake ~ Shutter Speed = Focal Length?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive heard that to counter camera shake without a tripod using shutter speed, you must have the same or faster speed than the focal length of the lens.
Example: 75-300mm lens, zoomed to 300mm, you should use atleast 1/300 right?

I heard that only works sometimes, so, how do you know the minimum speed you should use?

That's a great rule of thumb. However, that's given in 35mm lengths, so with a crop sensor, multiply by 1.6. So, at 300mm on a crop camera, try for something near 1/480 second.

IMO that's usually pretty conservative and you can get by with slower.

so with a crop sensor, multiply by 1.6. So, at 300mm on a crop camera, try for something near 1/480 second.

Care to show me a reputable source that says that crop factor has to do with camera shake?

Crop factor only has to do with field of view(and since crop factor is due to a less than x sized sensor, often 35mm, there are also issues with DOF and noise). I wish it wasn't perpetrated as being some kind of universal rule-changer.

But even the "rule of thumb" is invalid if you have surgeon's hands or are in the middle of a seizure.

Care to show me a reputable source that says that crop factor has to do with camera shake?

Crop factor only has to do with field of view(and since crop factor is due to a less than x sized sensor, often 35mm, there are also issues with DOF and noise). I wish it wasn't perpetrated as being some kind of universal rule-changer.

But even the "rule of thumb" is invalid if you have surgeon's hands or are in the middle of a seizure.

Are you wanting to start up another pointless fight? :D Google it, almost anywhere that camera shake rule of thumb comes up, it mentions crop factor. If I mentioned sources, we'd debate which sources were "reputable".

Right, that's why it's a rule of thumb...

Yes it a good rule of thumb to follow =- the other half is to perfect shooting stance.
There are many ways to do this, here are a few:
1) crouch down into the prone position (keep on foot on the ground and bend the knee- with the other leg place the knee on the ground - like shooting a gun.)

2) breathing - a host of tips - though apparently you should press the shutter button at the very end of exhaling - there is a natural pause there.

3) look about for a wall, post, fence, etc to either lean yourself on or to lean the camera on

As already mentioned, it is a good rule of thumb (that does depend on format), but there are times when you can use a slower shutter speed and times when you should use a faster shutter speed.

If you want ultimate sharpness it may not be fast enough - the effects of shake are not always obvious unless you put two images made with a high quality lens side by side at high magnification.

Best,
Helen

Thats the rule of thumb. It's a bit conservative and doesn't take IS into account. I say that you can ignore the crop factor because of it's conservatism. With, IS, you can go to half the speed (2x the time) easily and still be perfectly sharp.

I usually find that I can shoot at much slow shutter at short focal lengths and my shutter speed requirement goes closer to the rule of thumb as focal length increases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back